New Help to buy ISA query

Options
Hi

Myself and my wife are both first time buyers, I already have a help to buy ISA at Halifax. My wife had an Instant cash ISA with Barclays, which she paid into in June. I understood (from MSE) that she can open a Help to buy ISA, providing she transfers the existing isa.

The existing instant cash ISA had £238 in it. We have successfully opened the market leading Help to Buy ISA (with Barclays) and have initiated the full transfer of £238, from the instant cash ISA, to the Help to Buy ISA.

What we are now wondering is, does this £238 count as the £1200 she is allowed to deposit in Month 1? In which case, we are permitted to deposit a further £962 within July. Or, is the transfer not factored into the permitted £1200, in which case we can still deposit that.......?

If anybody knows, and can confirm, we would be very grateful
Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check your T&Cs. Some providers have placed restrictions on how the payments may be made up. But the transfer will definitely be deducted from the initial £1200 allowance. You may be permitted to deposit a further £962 within the same month as the transfer if the T&Cs permit it. Otherwise you could be limited to just £200 or £0.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2018 at 9:03PM
    Options
    Barclays allow you to make multiple payments per month up to the £1200 limit (month 1) and £200 thereafter. Halifax for example do not.

So your wife could transfer in her £238 in from her existing isa and then add another £962 to top it up to the £1200 maximum in month 1. Just make sure both sums go in in the same calendar month

https://www.barclays.co.uk/savings/isas/help-to-buy-isa/
  • indierocker85
    indierocker85 Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your help, I think we have the answer we were seeking. Much appreciated
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • Wildsound
    Wildsound Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You may also want to consider a Lifetime ISA if you are both under 40. It is essentially a much better version of the HTB ISA if you plan on buying a house in 1+ years time. There are guides on this website, I recommend you take a look.

If it is something you think you should be opening, then luckily you are able to have both a HTB ISA and a Lifetime ISA at the same time (which a lot of people don't realise as the product is clouded in confusion for the regular joe)
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wildsound wrote: »
    You may also want to consider a Lifetime ISA if you are both under 40. It is essentially a much better version of the HTB ISA if you plan on buying a house in 1+ years time. There are guides on this website, I recommend you take a look.

If it is something you think you should be opening, then luckily you are able to have both a HTB ISA and a Lifetime ISA at the same time (which a lot of people don't realise as the product is clouded in confusion for the regular joe)

Agreed the lifetime ISA makes more sense.

The HTB ISA is only a better alternative if you are buying in the next few months when you open the account as you can qualify for a bonus more quickly (within 3 months rather than at the end of the tax year) or you are a first time buyer over 40 and can't open a lifetime ISA. And the Lifetime ISA has a £450k property value limit outside London - for most people buying in the South east outside the capital the HTB ISA is close to worthless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure