S&S ISA transfer - checking my understanding

Options
I've instigated a transfer of an old S&S ISA I have with Fidelity to my new ISA with Vanguard. Am I right in thinking that once the transfer is made, the funds sit as cash in the Vanguard account until I make my fund choice and Vanguard implements it? So if the fund performed well in the intervening period I miss out on some marginal gains but if the fund were to drop in value in the same period my cash would be buying units at the marginally reduced price?

I'm not trying to second-guess the market here, my attitude to all of this is very long term, I'm just interested in how it works.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it's a Vanguard fund then it can be transferred 'in specie' from one S&S ISA to another (i.e. directly without being out of the market), but if you're holdings something else on Fidelity then you'd have to sell first before transferring the cash to Vanguard and buying one of their own products on their platform, which, as you say, you'd need to instigate. Or buy the relevant Vanguard fund(s) on Fidelity before an in-specie transfer, which may minimise time out of the market but might cost more in fees....
  • Whitterbod
    Whitterbod Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My scottish widows isa was tranfered to vanguard as money , i then picked the funds for my portfolio. Very easy,
    Thats a good idea thanks muchly.. 😊
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks both. It's an Invesco fund on the Fidelity platform, so it seems it would arrive at Vanguard as cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure