Council Tax question

Options
My Aunt has Dementia and she resides with her daughter and two adult grandsons. One of the grandsons is registered as the carer. Though in fact, all three care for her.

For Council Tax I think they get a reduction of 25% because of Aunts dementia.

But, I was wondering if it would be possible for them to get a 50% reduction in their Council Tax by having the council recognise that Auntie and the three adults, ie daughter and two grandsons are 'disregarded' for Council Tax purposes due to their roles as carers?

Does anyone understand how all this works?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not clear to me why they are getting 25% discount. What do the grandsons do?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    Not clear to me why they are getting 25% discount. What do the grandsons do?

I'm not certain why they get a discount. It may be because Aunt is both disabled and suffers dementia. It may be that they are moved down a band, rather than getting 25%.

The grandsons - one works full time and the other generally takes care of Aunt as daughter works full time. But daughter works shifts and so the two grandsons look after Aunt when daughter is at work etc. Aunt cannot be left alone because of her advanced dementia and she also has zero mobility due to a fall 18 months ago when she broke both of her legs. She was unable to learn to walk again because of the advancement of her dementia.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can't see a reason why they would get a 25% reduction, and i can see no reason why they would get any further reductions while 2 adults work full time.
  • Steve_xx
    edited 20 March 2019 at 12:30AM
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    I can't see a reason why they would get a 25% reduction, and i can see no reason why they would get any further reductions while 2 adults work full time.

They applied for it last year and a chap from the local council visited, and as a result they were awarded this discount. They were not awarded it due to one of the grandsons being registered as a carer for Auntie, because at that point he wasn't registered as a carer.

I have a feeling that the reduction might be due to the Council Tax disability reduction scheme where if you qualify under it, and they would do, you get moved to the next council tax band lower.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Even if aunt is ignored because of severe mental impairment and grandson were ignored as a carer there would still be two adults in the house so a discount isn’t applicable. I don’t think authority is likely to accept more than one carer for the same person.

Possibly it is a band reduction due to substantial and permanent disability. Can’t see anyway of improving on this.

Presumably aunt is getting DLA, PIP or AA (?). Is grandson getting Carer’s Allowance for looking after her (if not earning more than £120/week).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Even if aunt is ignored because of severe mental impairment and grandson were ignored as a carer there would still be two adults in the house so a discount isn’t applicable. I don’t think authority is likely to accept more than one carer for the same person.

Possibly it is a band reduction due to substantial and permanent disability. Can’t see anyway of improving on this.

Presumably aunt is getting DLA, PIP or AA (?). Is grandson getting Carer’s Allowance for looking after her (if not earning more than £120/week).

Note:

Council Tax discount for carers
    If you qualify as a carer, we can reduce your bill by 25% or 50% depending on how many people aged 18 or over live in your property and whether those people are counted for Council Tax purposes.
    If all but one resident is not counted, we’ll reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%.
    If all residents in the property aren’t counted, we’ll reduce your Council Tax bill by 50%.
    Eligibility criteria
    You are eligible for this discount if all of the following applies to you:
    You live at the same property as the person receiving care.
    The person you care for is over 18.
    You provide care for at least 35 hours a week.
    The person you care for is not your spouse or partner.
    The person you care for receives any of the following benefits:
    Middle or higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance.
    Daily living component of Personal Independence Payment at any rate.
    Attendance Allowance at any rate.
    Armed Forces Independence payment.
    Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance.
    You do not have to claim Carer’s Allowance to qualify for this discount, and your income and savings will not affect your eligibility.
  • Steve_xx
    Options

Yes I see your point. And, I think you are correct in your mention of band reduction. However, there doesn't seem to be a specific bar on the amount of carers allowed, except that only one can obtain carers allowance of course.

In this case, one grandson get the carers allowance. Aunt gets DLA and AA and Mobility Allowance (or what used to be called that) at the full rates.
  • calcotti
    Options
    I don’t think Council will accept two Carer’s for the same person (although you/they can ask if you/they wish).
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    In this case, one grandson get the carers allowance. Aunt gets DLA and AA and Mobility Allowance (or what used to be called that) at the full rates.
    It's not possible to claim AA and DLA at the same time.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    I’m not clear why you have quoted that. It confirms that a 25% discount applies if only one adult falls to be counted as living in the property. As per previous post even when aunt and grandson are ignored there are still two adults in the house so no discount is applicable. I don’t think Council will accept two Carer’s for the same person (although you/they can ask if you/they wish).

I think that's what I'm wondering, ie could all three be regarded as 'carers', because in fact they are, and therefore be disregarded?

I note that you don't "think" that the council would regard more than one person as a carer, but it would be interesting to ascertain if it is possible I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure