Paying for an Ipad I accidentally broke

Options
I am currently 15 years old and therefore like to have a laugh with some of my friends at school...
On multiple occasions we have kicked one of our friends bags as a joke (we do it to everyone) and on this particular instance i kicked it and it happened to have his Ipad facing outwards at the end of it with no protective cover. Needless to say, i broke it significantly on the screen and caused the main body to bend.
In generall my question is:
Should i pay, if so how much?

Some rules our school have (quoted from homework planner)
  • We will not accept responsibility should a students mobile be damaged, lost or stolen
  • Please do not bring or wear expensive watches, coats, jewellery, pens, or large ammounts of money into school. We cannot be responsible for loss of such items.

It is an Ipad mini 4
Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Giving the benefit of the doubt to an unusually articulate 15 year old:

You owe him the cost of having it repaired.
    School policy is irrelevant - you broke it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Youre 'having a laugh' is in effect criminal damage.
    Pay for it to be repaired or replaced.
    Hopefully you will all learn a lesson
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    Jackshki wrote: »
    I am currently 15 years old and therefore like to have a laugh with some of my friends at school...
    On multiple occasions we have kicked one of our friends bags as a joke (we do it to everyone) and on this particular instance i kicked it and it happened to have his Ipad facing outwards at the end of it with no protective cover. Needless to say, i broke it significantly on the screen and caused the main body to bend.

• We will not accept responsibility should a students mobile be damaged, lost or stolen
    • Please do not bring or wear expensive watches, coats, jewellery, pens, or large ammounts of money into school. We cannot be responsible for loss of such items.

It is an Ipad mini 4

Tell your parents what happened as I bet you dont have the money to get it repaired, they go for £400 on argos if its not fixable.

He shouldn't have brought it into school but that doesnt mean you can get out of paying for a repair.
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Tell your parents what happened as I bet you dont have the money to get it repaired, they go for £400 on argos if its not fixable.

He shouldn't have brought it into school but that doesnt mean you can get out of paying for a repair.

Why not? They are being used increasingly by schools for classwork and homework.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to check out 'betterment' - you don't need to replace with a brand new iPad unless it was recently purchased, so I'd suggest a refurb may be an option.
  • pinkduvetdiva
    pinkduvetdiva Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What you quoted from the school homework planner effectively means that the school is not responsible for loss or damage. In this case, you are responsible and you (or your parents) need to make good the damage that you have caused.

Let this be a lesson to you - don't kick people's bags, because you don't know what's inside them.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The school isn't responsible - you are.

You've been adult enough own up to your actions, now go the whole hog and replace your friend's ipad - and stop kicking other people's personal possessions.

Remember that 100 years ago young men not much older than you didn't have time for daft games - they were fighting for King and Country in the mud of France, and, more recently in the defence of this Country against Nazi invasion.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Options
    What you quoted from the school homework planner effectively means that the school is not responsible for loss or damage. In this case, you are responsible and you (or your parents) need to make good the damage that you have caused.

Let this be a lesson to you - don't kick people's bags, because you don't know what's inside them.

Could well bw someone wants to teach you a lesson and put a large concrete block in one
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Options
    Jackshki wrote: »

It is an Ipad mini 4
    7.3. If you're aged under 16 you confirm you have the permission of your parent or guardian to submit content to us.

Hope you've let your parent or guardian know what you are asking :)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The school isn't responsible - you are.

You've been adult enough own up to your actions, now go the whole hog and replace your friend's ipad - and stop kicking other people's personal possessions.

Remember that 100 years ago young men not much older than you didn't have time for daft games - they were fighting for King and Country in the mud of France, and, more recently in the defence of this Country against Nazi invasion.

Jeebus, ipads to WW1 in 2 lines, is it time for pipe and slippers yet :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure