Paying for an Ipad I accidentally broke

2»

Replies

• LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    agrinnall wrote: »
    You need to check out 'betterment' - you don't need to replace with a brand new iPad unless it was recently purchased, so I'd suggest a refurb may be an option.

Why should the victim have to put up with somebody else's refurbed iPad? He doubtless had lots of work/photos etc. on his iPad and perhaps he out to check out "compensation" - or are we encouraging 15 year-olds to wriggle out of their responsibility for criminal damage now?
  • edited 21 May 2018 at 3:51PM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2018 at 3:51PM
    Why not? They are being used increasingly by schools for classwork and homework.

Im not doubting that but it should be stored in a secure place like a locker.
  • ThePants999ThePants999 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking back to my school days, anyone who kept expensive, breakable stuff in their school bags would have been an idiot.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Why should the victim have to put up with somebody else's refurbed iPad? He doubtless had lots of work/photos etc. on his iPad and perhaps he out to check out "compensation" - or are we encouraging 15 year-olds to wriggle out of their responsibility for criminal damage now?

You can recommend checking out compensation to the victim if you like, I'm responding to the OP, and there would be no need in law to replace the damaged item with anything better, so it is very likely that a refurb would be an acceptable replacement for a used iPad (and as I understand it Apple refurbs are very high quality anyway).
  • edited 21 May 2018 at 8:52PM
    ACGACG Forumite
    21.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2018 at 8:52PM

Remember that 100 years ago young men not much older than you didn't have time for daft games - they were fighting for King and Country in the mud of France, and, more recently in the defence of this Country against Nazi invasion.
    How did you get from a broken Ipad to the nazis! I am not a big fan of analogies and this is a prime example of why.

He broke an ipad playing a daft game. Im still young enough to doing daft crap like that. You only really need to pay a repair unless it is pretty much brand new. Have a word with your parents, they may shout, they may not. Just find a way to pay them back and they will be fine.

Your 15, your going to be doing daft stuff for the next 10 years. Get it repaired either with or without your parents help, hes your mate after all. You will both forget about it in 12 months but you will still be mates.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Jane_BJane_B Forumite
    131 Posts
    Speak to your parents, as if its them covering the cost they will be the ones in charge of what to offer.
    In real terms they would only need to offer to pay for the repair of the ipad, since it wasn't brand new (i'm assuming?) they would not need to replace it with a new one.

It would however be easier for them to offer to replace it and no harm done, sometimes friendships in general are worth more than the money saved in standing your ground.

Also - stop kicking bags if you haven't already :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides