Absolutely Free Cavity Wall Insulation

Options

Comments

• Aries
    Aries Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    I got my cavity walls done today.
    Two men arrived at 8am and were finished and away before 9.30.they have done a very neat job,and hosed away all the dust.
    It was Dyson Insulations working for Powergen..Im very impressed.
    Member of the £2 savers club.£320
    so far
    saving for Holiday :j

You are never too Old to learn new tricks.:rotfl:
  • Fullup
    Fullup Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Aries wrote:
    I got my cavity walls done today.
    Two men arrived at 8am and were finished and away before 9.30.they have done a very neat job,and hosed away all the dust.
    It was Dyson Insulations working for Powergen..Im very impressed.

We used Dyson Insulations a couple of years ago and found them very good.

We noticed a couple of patches on the outside walls after a year, Dyson sent out someone with a camera to check inside the walls. They found a couple of areas which didn't have enough insulation in. The following day the van arrived and they fixed the two areas and also changed all the air brick around the whole house.
  • Tee-Bhoy
    Options
    If you are in a Council house the Council will do it for nothing,plus loft

insulation.
  • thehairybuilder
    Options
    bullet_small.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
    The government is keen for homeowners to insulate their homes, but cavity walls were built as a barrier against penetrating dampness.
    [/font]

Seems it`s not a good idea to tamper with cavity walls - see here for details

http://www.ask-jeff.co.uk/building-cavity-wall-insulation.htm
    I`m now officially too old to die young
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NOWSE wrote:
    As I already mentioned on another forum, Powergen presently have an offer where they will install cavity wall insulation any of their customers for £75. The same leaflet states that over 60s and those receiving a "qualifying benefit" can have it installed for free.

I'm under 50 but noticed this thread and thought I would reply here as well to ask the question - does NOWSE or anyone else have the offer details for Powergen to hand? £75 for cavity wall insulation sounds excellent but it does not mention this price on their website (it quoted around £175 after filling in their survey) - is there a code or special number to call?

Many thanks

Anon
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am going top try following this through. I am not over 60, but am a powergen customer, single parent, home owner etc. My three bed semi is often still cold in deep winter despite putting in really good loft insulation and double galzing. I thnk its because I have a fairly old heating system and can't afford to replace it yet.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • bec27
    Options
    Hi there it is interesting to read that so many people are interested in cavity wall insulation. It is important to note (and I refer specifically to the person asking if cavity walls should be filled) that there are a great deal of grants that come directly from your local authority and any company worth their salt will issue their customers with an insurance backed guarantee which will last 25 years. It would be especially worth contacting your local authority if you claim;

Pension credit,
    working family tax credit (and your household income is less than 14600 p/a), child tax credit (and your household income is less than 14600 p/a),
    disability living allowance,
    attendance allowance,
    income based job seekers allowance,
    council tax benefit (this is not the reduction you get if you live on your own), income support
    Housing benefit,
    Disabled person's tax credit,
    War disablement pension (must also be in receipt of mobility supplement or constant attendance allowance)
    Industrial injuries disablement benefit (must also be in receipt of constant attendance allowance)

It is worth remembering that the utility companies have been steadily putting their prices up and council tax goes up every year so you might as well get something for your money! Even if you are not on benefits give the council a ring and they can advise you - there are loads of grants available for all areas.
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had my cavity walls done a couple of years back for free and have just applied for a new combi boiler, both through Warm Zone. They are a Government grant scheme for cavity wall insulation, loft insulation and heating improvements in England (links to Scotland, Wales & N.I. equivalent on the site as well as other schemes). The list of where the 'Zones' are in England is at the top of the page.

The grant is available up to a maximum of £2,700 (or £4,00 where oil-fired central heating is concerned). When I asked if already getting a grant for having the cavity walls done would affect the size of grant I got for the boiler, I was told it wouldn't as it was a new claim in a new year :). I'm not sure why it was mentioned that the grant is less for under 60's - I'm only 31 but have been given the £2,700 each time.

They based it on me getting Child Tax credit and Child benefit, and not the carers allowance my husband gets or the DLA my daughter gets which I found odd :confused:.
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree it's worth it's weight in gold It really does keep the house warm and the heating bills down
  • axean
    axean Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    If you have taken up the Powergen Cavity Wall Insulation offer, can you tell me what type of insulation they used?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure