AVIOS points for M+S food on British Airways

Hi all

I recently booked a flight with British Airways. I've never flown with them before. I was awarded 478 Avios points and 15 Tier points...

I largely ignored these at the time of booking thinking they wouldn't be worth worrying about. But I'm just wondering now if I might be able to use them for food onboaord, or even to choose a seat. The trouble is I am finding it hard to see what 478/15 points are actually worth.

Is anyone able to help me? Would I get more than a peanut for 478/15 points?

It says it is free to join the "Executive Club" - which I would need to do to claim the points - but is it really "free" or is there anything to be aware of?

Anything else I need to consider?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Get the app on your phone and sign up. You can only redeem avios on board using the app and the bar code.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Seagull27 wrote: »
    Hi all

I recently booked a flight with British Airways. I've never flown with them before. I was awarded 478 Avios points and 15 Tier points...

I largely ignored these at the time of booking thinking they wouldn't be worth worrying about. But I'm just wondering now if I might be able to use them for food onboaord, or even to choose a seat. The trouble is I am finding it hard to see what 478/15 points are actually worth.

Is anyone able to help me? Would I get more than a peanut for 478/15 points?

It says it is free to join the "Executive Club" - which I would need to do to claim the points - but is it really "free" or is there anything to be aware of?

Anything else I need to consider?

Many thanks :)

https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/01/04/british-airways-buy-on-board-food-drink-menu-price-list/

It's from a couple of years ago, but will give you an idea.
  • mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2019 at 6:51PM
    Very, very roughly, you can think of an Avios as worth something in the region of 1p*. (The tier points are not something you can cash in - they're related to status, and you'll need 300 in a year to make progress.)

Buy-on-board prices here. You could just afford a bag of crisps and a coke!

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/food-and-drink/short-haul-economy-dining

*Edited to add, you get a lot less than 1p value using them this way, but unless you have many thousand, it's the best you'll get.
  • mad_rich
    Have you actually made the flight yet? You will only get the points after you've flown, and if you put your Executive Club number in the booking.

The Executive Club is indeed free.
  • mad_rich wrote: »
    Have you actually made the flight yet? You will only get the points after you've flown

Really! Oh dear, if that's the case then I'm really sorry but I've wasted everyone's time! This is my first booking with BA and I fly in August. It will most likely be my last, which is why I thought I might as well use the points even if they only get something small.

But if I don't even earn the points until after I've flown then I guess it's all out the window.

Out of interest, on a return flight do you only earn them after both journeys are completed?

Thanks for all the help
  • mad_rich
    You'll earn them within a few days of each flight, so the outbound Avios should be available to spend on your return. It's not much though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure