Oil change, yes or no?

Options
13»

Comments

• snilloct1957
    snilloct1957 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    As others have suggested, it may be that the garage used a suction pump to extract the oil from the sump, and there's still lots of crud circulating in the engine, contaminating the new oil.

When was the last time the vehicle had an engine flush? If it's an older car, at the next service order an engine flush, filter and oil change, and if you can afford it, arrange for the sump to be removed and cleaned as crud accumulates in every nook and cranny. I changed the oil on my petrol Renault Megane Scenic 1.6, 16v, 03 plate, last week, and the oil is still clean. I can't comment on diesels.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Totally normal. I have changed the oil in a Mondeo diesel, doing all the right things (hot engine, left 30 mins to drain, filter change), left it to idle for a couple of minutes to check for leaks, and checked the dipstick. The lovely golden liquid I put in was as black as a very black thing.

Diesels to tend to blacken their oil over time, but I have often wondered why it happened so quickly. All I can assume is that it is the 1% of oil that you can't drain, which instantly contaminates the new stuff. The OP isn't the first person to wonder if they have been ripped off by a garage oil change.

OP, don't worry.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure