Changes to Reward and Ultimate Reward Accounts

Options

Comments

• jonmcclelland
    Options
    my halifax account has two debits set up to Orange and to Paypal, which I use to purchase off ebay.

Obviously Paypal doesn't come out every month...only if there is a balnce on there.

Does this still qualify?
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    my halifax account has two debits set up to Orange and to Paypal, which I use to purchase off ebay.

Obviously Paypal doesn't come out every month...only if there is a balnce on there.

Does this still qualify?

From my reading of the new conditions, your account will remain as a Reward account (as it has two DDs set up on it), but you will only receive the £5 reward in months where both DDs were paid.
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    I was told yesterday that the new conditions from next May include the condition that £750/month must be deposited into the account to get the £5/month, and that this deposit must be a "direct credit" such as my salary or other benefits and that a transfer from another Halifax account will not qualify.

Is this true, or are they telling me lies?
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have not seen that in the T&Cs
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hominu wrote: »
    I was told yesterday that the new conditions from next May include the condition that £750/month must be deposited into the account to get the £5/month, and that this deposit must be a "direct credit" such as my salary or other benefits and that a transfer from another Halifax account will not qualify.

Is this true, or are they telling me lies?

Who told you this?
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    I see it says on the website: "agree to fund the account with your salary or other credits (minimum £750 per month)", but that doesn't say that transfers are not allowed. Maybe this is what the staff have been told?

Then again, its suspiciously similar wording to the £100 offer, so maybe they'll randomly check and if you are using transfers, degrade your account. Who knows what'll happen until May.
  • ice_babe
    ice_babe Posts: 335 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thats a shame there doing this. Me and my OH have 3 between us. Our main joint account and 1 account each we cycle £1000 through. I quite liked the extra £10 a month :rotfl:
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm amazed its taken this long to happen - I'm going to miss my free fivers but probably wont go the effort of shuffling DDs or setting up new accounts to get them.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Can someone confirm the 5 (NET) equates to 6.25 gross

Therefore 1.25 x 12 is claimable via R40 from HMRC per year for say a student for example

Regarding DD I guess each external payment to the 2 outside accounts could be repeated on every reward account
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can someone confirm the 5 (NET) equates to 6.25 gross

Therefore 1.25 x 12 is claimable via R40 from HMRC per year for say a student for example

Regarding DD I guess each external payment to the 2 outside accounts could be repeated on every reward account

The bank deducts and pays the tax on the reward payment automatically and that rate is currently set at 20%. 20% of the gross amount (£6.25) is £1.25. Thus the £5 reward payment you receive has been tax deducted, as is interest paid to savings accounts (exception of cash ISAs). If you are a non-tax payer you can claim Gross Interest on savings by completing an "R85 Interest Without Tax Deducted" form however as the reward payment isn't interest and as stated is classed as a "Reward" you can claim it back via HMRC. The bank can issue you with a certificate to state you have paid tax on the reward as proof to HMRC for your claim.

As for the DDs, why not set up two charity DDs and donate £1 each to them and be happy with £3 per month. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure