Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suppose the next question (and it's ever so rude) is *when* SSS was getting her half crowns, as inflation will make a big difference. For example, in 1960, half a crown (our 12.5p) was worth something like £2.60 in modern money.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Oh God! :eek:

Mrs E out for a well deserved birthday massage. DD alternated between yelling and SCREAMING for over an hour until she cried herself to sleep :o:(
  • choccielover
    Options
    Aren't kids brill....

Whatever you do, DO NOT mention this to Mrs E should she call.
    Baby E has been a perfect angel in these circumstances......
  • edinburgher
    Options
    I waited 'til she got back... apparently I'm a terrible liar.
  • Brodiebobs
    Brodiebobs Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aren't kids brill....

Whatever you do, DO NOT mention this to Mrs E should she call.
    Baby E has been a perfect angel in these circumstances......

Cannot second this enough!!!

Id never heard the money and babies thing? I was in hospital when my little one was a few weeks old and all the ladies in my ward gave him a £, i just thought they were lovely.. seems there was a reason behind it!
  • choccielover
    Options
    ;) mums know these things.

Plus she's probably been a bit grizzly all day so Mrs E knew she would be a bit "challenging" to settle ;)
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Good for all concerned for Mrs E to have a break. A bit of baby screaming never did any harm! I was getting my half crowns around the late sixties. I think we went decimal in 1970 ish? It was worth a fair bit at the time, two shillings and sixpence or 12 and a half pence. A week's pocket money was 10p.

You have got me started now..... When I was eleven, a school lunch was 12p. We used to go to the shops instead and buy chips for 5p, a Swiss bun for 2p and crisps for 3p. I saved the extra 2p and bought a pair of tights for 10p every Friday. Amazingly, none of us were fat on that diet, but we did walk absolutely everywhere.

This was 43 years ago, which makes me a little worried about how far my savings will go if I live another 43 years and make it to 97!!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    Well that brought some memories back. School dinners a shilling (5p now). Got to love the bananas and custard. Used to be on a table of eight. I used to eat the whole 8 portions of bananas & custard on condition that someone - anyone would eat my portion of rice pudding, sago or tapioca. Never put a pound on, now I only have to look at a banana (no custard in sight) and the pounds start going on. But we DID have to walk everywhere - for a couple of years I had a mile walk just to get to a bus that would get me to school on time.

I used to be well known for running faster holding my hat on carrying a briefcase (yes I was that posh backpacks didn't exist back then) than I could run in gym kit. A bus conductor (yes they too existed back then) used to call me and a friend the Alk..... Harriers. He was a regular and rarely actually took money off us for fares. As we had to pay full fare at 14 even though in school uniform that was a real bonus and as the only spending money I had was what I saved on my fares I freely admit that that bus conductor got my full attention.

I guess these days someone would be accusing him of abuse but all he got from me was smiles which (from someone whose nickname back then was smiler) was pretty worthless.

So I guess I have just outed myself but as most of the people (men/boys) I knew back then were at Manchester Grammar School and tend to have had strokes by now I am not going to be too concerned! I do actually know of 2. Definitely showing my age and my alcohol - but at least it's whisky.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Loving the memories (although slightly shocked by Patanne's pervy conductor!) ;)

Just back from my first ever Daddy DD trip, a 3 hour walk around the neighbourhood with a stop for coffee. No crying, several naps and admiring/jealous looks from people amazed to see a young guy hanging out with his baby on a Friday morning :rotfl:
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    When I had a half crown in the 60's I felt rich. And they were massive as well - or perhaps that was because I was small!

Back then, one of my hobbies was coin collecting. It used to be a lot easier, as there was always the possibility of getting a Victorian penny in your change. When we went decimal I soon gave up the coin collecting, as it wasn't as exciting anymore.

This was 43 years ago, which makes me a little worried about how far my savings will go if I live another 43 years and make it to 97!!
    As SSS says, that's at the back of my mind too. But if I get to 97, I reckon my spending requirements will reduce - I doubt if I'll be going on cruises!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family