Any recommendations for fitted wardrobes?

buzzyzoe
buzzyzoe Posts: 477
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a flat, and want to start thinking about furniture early!

I have A LOT of clothes, so am wanting to get some fitted wardrobes installed. The bedroom has a sloping ceiling, so they will need to be custom made rather than getting freestanding units.

I would like it to have sliding doors to make the most of the space. The dimensions would be roughly 3m wide, 1m deep and varying height due to the sloping ceiling.

I've done some internet research, and think the more mainstream companies, such as Sharps, Hammonds etc will probably be out of my price range.

So far, companies that I like the look of include Sliderobes, Spaceslide and Bravo. Can anyone recommend any others, or share any experiences you've had with any of the above companies? I'm particularly interested in how much you paid, as none of these companies give any kind of indication of price online, and I can't have them come for a home visit as I don't actually own the property yet!

If I can narrow down which options are the best, I can get moving as soon as I move in.

Any comments much appreciated!
Mortgage received 21/12/2018
Mortgage at start - £261,980
Current mortgage - £260,276
Saving towards a loft conversion first, then to smash the mortgage down!

Comments

• I'd be looking for something like thisBetta-Living-wardrobes.jpg
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The expensive ones like sharp are about 3k fitted.

Space slide DIY fitting (not easy) for 3m is about £1600
  • I was hoping to spend less than £2000 all in.

I couldn't fit myself, so would need to pay someone to fit them.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I guess you need to find a local carpenter to fit them.

For space slide you can get the material prices online by picking what you want. If it was only 2m wide and thus 2 door it would be about £1200.
  • The ideal would be a company that will design and fit, but I know I might be pushing it with my budget.

Don't suppose you've had any experience with Bravo? They're top of my list at the moment.

http://www.bravolondon.co.uk/
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    To be honest with you - you could probably do worse than B&Q. We had them supply and fit our kitchen and the quality and workmanship are just as good as we've paid double for.
  • buzzyzoe
    buzzyzoe Posts: 477
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'm sure the quality would be great, it's more the price I'm worried about.

From what I've read, the bigger companies such as B&Q, Sharps etc tend to be more expensive than smaller independents.
  • The thing I've found about fitted wardrobes is that if you have them in a corner - stuff will always find it's way into the darkest depths of that corner......
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    buzzyzoe wrote: »
    I'm sure the quality would be great, it's more the price I'm worried about.

From what I've read, the bigger companies such as B&Q, Sharps etc tend to be more expensive than smaller independents.

My experience is that it's the other way round. The smaller firms are more expensive because that's what they depend on for their total income. B&Q have their own tradesmen on contract doing various different kinds of installation so it works out cheaper. I reckon I saved about £4,000 by having them do our kitchen, going by the quotes of independents I'd previously had tender for the job.
  • We've just had fitted wardrobes put in, not sliding doors but in a bit of an awkward space, approx 3m by 1m, used a local joiner and fitter and total cost was £900. Of that, about half was materials and half labour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure