PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Options

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I cooked soup from a pumpkin that was given to me by my neighbour, and that I had cut up, grilled, mashed and frozen in portions a few months ago. Together with 1 ball of frozen spinach (it tasts weirdly sweet on its own, but in soup or sauce it's fine), and a sachet of chicken noodle soup flavouring (dd2 likes the noodles with normal instant chicken soup, so I keep the noodle soup flavouring sachets for myself). Delish!

Working on emptying the freezer, and defrosting a small portions of gooseberries or redcurrants everyday, to have with breakfast. This is a make-do (homegrown and frozen instead of shop bought) that I really enjoy :)

The mending pile is growing; I am gathering the courage to tackle it sometime this week.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & stores

Mend: Tea-towel, 3 pairs of knickers, pair of socks
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Make Do: Usual of meals from freezer & cupboards. Some, er,"interesting" combinations but nothing disastrous so far. ;)

Mend: Have sewn up 2/3 children's knitted jumpers - one to go - but need to get a wriggle on as they are for birthdays in 2 weeks' time. :D

Kettle de-scaled, something I probably don't do often enough, so thanks to frizz2 for mentioning it!

Minimise: Cut DH's hair this morning, quick buzz cut with the trimmers and he's happy. It's free and he doesn't have to wait in the barber's. (I think it's a man thing.;) )

Still haven't made it to the cs with carrier bags of unwanteds and now I have 3 instead of 2. :( Hopefully they will be gone by the next post!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Make do: MIL is still eating meals put together at Christmas. I had left over sausagemeat for lunch/dinner today. DH had a veggie curry I put away a couple of weeks ago.

I have a 'recipe' for making wipes for worktops so I've been cutting up cloths to put in the solution and also some scraps for making colour catchers for the washer. I'm getting into making my own stuff - laundry liquid, dishwasher powder, cleaners - the efficiency of it all :j:rotfl:. Just hope they work
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very pleased to discover that the extra heel caps provided when i have bought high heels in the past can be fitted by me! Very pleased to have been able to repair. Well loved pair of work shoes.

A bit of brute force from OH, some online videos and £16 and the time and cost a trip to town saved this time, just from being brave !
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Remainder of thge Pork joint for dinner tonight and a slice of YS cherry pie with custard - Yum.
    Shetland and the Sewing Bee - perfick!!!
    Making a list of jobs to be done - three columns. One for the house, one for the garden and one for my boat. Not all need doing or can even be done straightaway, its more of a heads up so things dont get overlooked
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • RainbowHippie
    Options
    Welcome Raphanius and well done with the sofa (and budget!) mending! It's amazing what you can accomplish with some creativity and determination :beer:
    MMMing has been a bit on the back burner here for a while, we had a hectic last few weeks 'oop north', listing our home for sale and packing for the first trip of our planned year-or-so of travelling the UK. Managed to eat up most fresh foods and pass on the rest to my parents before we left so nothing was wasted. We have now sort-of started our travels - house/dog-sitting in Devon for a couple of months and enjoying the change. We'll return to our home in March, possibly just to regroup for a few weeks or possibly to start packing up if there's any promise of a sale.
    I'm hoping to get a bit of MMM-ing in while we're away - though probably not much minimising! It is interesting though to observe what i'm actually using of the clothes etc i've brought with me, and will help me make better choices when packing for our future longer trips.

Mend - I've got a bag of mending, knitting and crochet that i brought to do in the evenings, although not had much chance yet. Also noticed several socks that i packed without realising they have holes in, so I'll borrow a rounded glass to use as a darning-mushroom at some point. Maybe that counts as making-do too :D I've also done a good sort-out of half of the pantry where we're staying - it's a huge house but very 'full' of the owners' stuff so we are struggling a bit with where our stuff can live while we're here! It's not so bad in the bedrooms as there's floor space, but in the pantry i was finding it hard to stay separate from their stores. However i've now rearranged enough that we have half a shelf, some floor space and the vegetable rack which will have to do!

Making do - We've been left various fresh fruit and veg by the people we're house-sitting for so have been using that up before buying new. I'm also trying to make do with walking to the supermarket (nearest is just over 20 mins each way) and use the car as little as possible. At home our nearest is almost an hour's walk so this feels much more doable!

OH and i are still settling into our new routine here with work, a large house to look after and a little dog to care for, and trying to make our priorities cooking healthy food from scratch every day and spending time out of the house together as a couple. We've not got the balance right just yet (we always end up trying to do too much in a day and eating dinner about 10pm!) but we're working on it!
    Happy MMMing all xxx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Options
    On the minimise front I had my hair cut yesterday (much needed) and feel much better for it.

Beautiful spring-like day today so I gave myself a good talking to and finally took the 3 carrier bags of unwanteds to the cs. :j I had a quick look round while I was there but didn't feel tempted by anything. :) I enjoyed the walk and it was lovely to see spring flowers either in bloom or getting ready to open.

Then I walked back home via the Co-op, got a few bits and bobs, and noticed that the PO in there has a collection point for used batteries. Good news, as the only other one near me is much further away in Sainsbugs. :)

Have shredded quite a lot of old paperwork - pity our Council doesn't want it in the recycling bin. :( Apparently it clogs up the machinery so it has to go in general waste.

Making do as much as possible foodwise, with lots of freezer odds and ends used up this last week and plenty more to follow over the next few days.

Nothing as such on the mend side of things - but I'll admit I'm probably not looking hard enough! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Have shredded quite a lot of old paperwork - pity our Council doesn't want it in the recycling bin. :( Apparently it clogs up the machinery so it has to go in general waste.
    A friend of mine gives it to a friend of hers to use for her pets (apologies, I can’t remember what particular pets) as bedding which when soiled goes on the compost..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2019 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Shredded paper composts beautifully. Layer it between layers of vegetation and it rots down to a fine compost.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure