PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do builders ever complete developments early?

Options
As the title states, I'm wondering if developers ever tend to finish building earlier than planned? This can be individual plots or the whole development?

We are buying a new build and are told it will be ready 'summer 2019' which the developer classes summer to be Jun/Jul/Aug. Is it at all likely my house 'could be ready earlier? How often does this happen?

Our mortgage broker says builders "always run late" and "never complete houses earlier" but I'm interested to know if anyone has:

*Had a new build completed early
*By how much early
*The reason why

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Sorry, but I can’t see this being a very long thread!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are threads sometimes very short?
  • CraftyTwinkle
    Options
    Not me personally but my SIL's new build completed early. Due Feb 2018, completed Dec 2017. I'm not 100% sure why but I think it was due to milder than expected weather.
  • SMR710
    SMR710 Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well it's already got more replies than your 'Gardening basics' thread already...

There's enough on here about developments being delayed, why wouldn't people have experience of them finishing ahead of schedule? It can cause problems either way for buyers...
  • nkomp18
    nkomp18 Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My new-built completed early. They moved the date forward twice, each time by a month, so I completed 2 months earlier. This is with a known developer building towers in central London. They work fast.

For houses outside of London I believe most people will tell you there are delays
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    SMR710 wrote: »
    Well it's already got more replies than your 'Gardening basics' thread already...

There's enough on here about developments being delayed, why wouldn't people have experience of them finishing ahead of schedule? It can cause problems either way for buyers...

Oh dear! Don't take it so personally, I was merely suggesting that its a very rare occurrence and trying to put it in a slightly light hearted way.
  • DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes practical completion of individual plots or even an entire development can occur ahead of schedule.
    I'm currently invested in approximately thirty residential property developments via an IFISA.

Some developers have repaid their loan two or three months early, others have overrun by three months or more.

Really depends on whether the developers original timescales were realistic or over ambitious, weather delays, contractor delays and a variety of other factors.

As a purchaser you will need to be flexible, as your contract with the developer will allow them to dictate the completion date.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport