Forum Home » House Buying, Renting & Selling

Do builders ever complete developments early?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Do builders ever complete developments early?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
7 replies 844 views
SMR710SMR710 Forumite
74 posts
10 Posts First Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
As the title states, I'm wondering if developers ever tend to finish building earlier than planned? This can be individual plots or the whole development?

We are buying a new build and are told it will be ready 'summer 2019' which the developer classes summer to be Jun/Jul/Aug. Is it at all likely my house 'could be ready earlier? How often does this happen?

Our mortgage broker says builders "always run late" and "never complete houses earlier" but I'm interested to know if anyone has:

*Had a new build completed early
*By how much early
*The reason why

Replies

• Red-Squirrel_2Red-Squirrel_2 PPR
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I can’t see this being a very long thread!
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    17.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are threads sometimes very short?
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
  • Not me personally but my SIL's new build completed early. Due Feb 2018, completed Dec 2017. I'm not 100% sure why but I think it was due to milder than expected weather.
  • SMR710SMR710 Forumite
    74 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Well it's already got more replies than your 'Gardening basics' thread already...

There's enough on here about developments being delayed, why wouldn't people have experience of them finishing ahead of schedule? It can cause problems either way for buyers...
  • nkomp18nkomp18 Forumite
    193 posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    My new-built completed early. They moved the date forward twice, each time by a month, so I completed 2 months earlier. This is with a known developer building towers in central London. They work fast.

For houses outside of London I believe most people will tell you there are delays
  • Red-Squirrel_2Red-Squirrel_2 PPR
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SMR710 wrote: »
    Well it's already got more replies than your 'Gardening basics' thread already...

There's enough on here about developments being delayed, why wouldn't people have experience of them finishing ahead of schedule? It can cause problems either way for buyers...

Oh dear! Don't take it so personally, I was merely suggesting that its a very rare occurrence and trying to put it in a slightly light hearted way.
  • DavidT67DavidT67 Forumite
    139 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Yes practical completion of individual plots or even an entire development can occur ahead of schedule.
    I'm currently invested in approximately thirty residential property developments via an IFISA.

Some developers have repaid their loan two or three months early, others have overrun by three months or more.

Really depends on whether the developers original timescales were realistic or over ambitious, weather delays, contractor delays and a variety of other factors.

As a purchaser you will need to be flexible, as your contract with the developer will allow them to dictate the completion date.

HTH