PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dumped a heap of old broken mugs & a dead cactus & re-potted all of my unused plant pots yesterday - my window ledge now looks beautifully green!!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Been dragging rubbish out of the allotment soil and off-site for recycling/ landfilling.

Earlier in the week I dug up a perished rubber cable (bungee cord) and a hefty chunk of corroded metal which looks like it fell off the back of a tractor - found the day after I'd taken all the heavy metal to the dump, grrr!

Today Dad dug up an aluminium window stay and lots of trash, including one whole buried bin bag which I had somehow missed.

I also dug up a blue and clear frosted glass bathroom mirror. In pieces. Because everyone needs one of those on their allotment, don't they? Oh, and more soft plastics, including bread bags and surveyors tape and lots of flakes of unidentifiable soft plastic bags. Gawd, how I hate the damned things.

:o I've always wanted to find buried treasure. Even just a little bit of treasure, a single historic coin. The amount of hours I've sent digging, you'd figure fate could give me one measly bit of treasure, wouldn't you?! Nope, I get trash every time, wah.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GQ, you will need a good long soak in a warm bath this evening, you haven`t stopped, obviously liking the challenge, what satisfaction!!

Tomorrow I am starting on my study, 9 x 9 ` and good study furniture in there on all sides and stuff on the floor and on the door. I have already brought a few sturdy plastic stacking shoe boxes in and certainly some crafts can go away into boxes, weaving accessories, felting, spinning spindles and so on. Just a bit of re-arrangement involved and maybe this time I might be able to release some more professional books. It is a busy room, very good storage and never used as a study, ie for writing at the desk although I use the desk for other things.

Oh dear, just remembered that my paperwork is in that room, so I will have to go through that, again, it will need updating. Mmm it is going to take more than a day. Oh well, I like having an aim
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just unpacked in my hotel - staying in the same place all week, so it was worth doing. I know it's summer, so packing is a bit easier, but I'm amazed at how much stuff came out of my tiny hand-luggage suitcase plus handbag. I've got 5 dresses hanging up, and my gym kit for the week (only two bottoms, but lots of tops!), plus jeans and t-shirts and a jumper, trainers & 4 pairs of shoes, underwear, night clothes, toiletries, makeup and the stuff I was wearing on the plane are all neatly put away on the shelves or in the bathroom.

I've bought some full-size toiletries at the airport, as I'm back here next week, so will be leaving things in a locker in the office to save me carting them back and forth. The hotel toiletries both here and where I'm staying next week leave a lot to be desired.

I swear it's the kondo-folding and rolling that means I can fit so much stuff in.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 June 2018 at 9:06AM
    Options
    oh yes I agree, rolling makes a big difference and far fewer creases

Just gathering myself together, letting breakfast go down, still on track for my planned morning in the study, sorting crafts today. I have a very open mind re my books, for a change, haven`t looked at several for a long time, there is something so nice about thick hardbacks with thin paper pages but I think it is time to let some go. This open mind has been a long time coming

edit: :D 90 minutes later and I have been in whirlwind mode. I decided to weigh some of the books that are destined to leave here and 2 weighed 3kg, lots of books are on the way out and they are in total, very heavy indeed. I am quite enjoying this creating of more space, much shelf space has appeared, so next step is to wrap the precious spindles properly. They are all crafted works of art. I have a handy 9 litre really useful box and may get them all in there, having sold lots of spindles a few months ago. The ones left are keepers

I am grateful to be in sensible mode and things are going, this is third pass
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :T That's an astonishing amount to get into hand luggage, greenbee, shows what you can do with forethought and kono-folding/ rolling.

Excellent work, kittie, whoever is going to be manhandling your goods and chattels onto a removal van eventually will thank you for it.

I'm on annual leave this week, I do have some commitments to other people and other places but am going to use the time to get the homestead in order.

I've been working on this project this morning, just taking 5 for a cuppa before going out on the bicycle for an appointment.

I realised that my surface clutter contains very specific things, things which all require something to be done to them before they can go away into their proper places. Or go away permanantly via the charity shop etc.

It's not that I lack the will to put things away, it's that I lack the will (and sometimes the time to exercise my will) to deal with all the things I have started.

This morning, I removed the tacking stitches and sewed in the ends of the machine stitching on several napkins which I created from an old tablecloth of Mum's. They have been loitering in a stew of kipple on my sofa for months. Probably since Easter, in fact. :o I have also sewn in the loose ends of yarn on a knitting project which is to be finished and donated and also put my rugmaking supplies and current WIP more neatly away. I'm not going to be doing any of that until we get to the cold dark evenings, too much gardening to do presently.

I have also mended the catch on a piece of costume jewellery which has been broken (and floating around on various surfaces) for several months. I shall wear it tomorrow to celebrate as it doesn't work with today's neckline.

Plenty more to do post-appointment, but I am feeling pleased with progress thus far.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :T That's an astonishing amount to get into hand luggage, greenbee, shows what you can do with forethought and kono-folding/ rolling.

And really thinking about what you need... I'm not sure how pleasant my running stuff will be by the end of the week, as I'm hand washing it :)

I didn't plan for rain (it's raining), nor did I bring swimming stuff (and have now been told who to be nice to about where to swim) but I might well go and buy some extra swimming stuff to leave here. I'll see how I get on.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you are a very busy bee GQ, we can all tell when you feel poorly, it is the only time you flag

Much done this morning. Some really useful boxes packed for moving, 4 x 9 litre and 4 x 3 litre. I am very glad I bought all these boxes, they have always paid their way and even more so just now. Three crafting lots up for sale and one already sold for £50. I am hoping for the other 2 lots, they could make > £100

I think I will slow down for today, getting very hot, even inside
  • GreyQueen
    edited 11 June 2018 at 6:52PM
    Options
    :j Have just had an email from the council confirming the arrangements for removing The Item from Plot2 next week. This will involve some preparations on my part (sweat and swearing, basically) and a very early morning visit to the site to get it ready for the crew who're being sent for it, but all that is very acceptable in light of the result. Happy days!

Plot2 is definately getting there, slowly but surely being de-kippled.

ETA; Convo with the mothership this evening reveals that she very much likes the planter dug out of Plot2 and intends to keep it and release a smaller, less favoured planter to go bootsaling. Good break for all of us, as the one from the plot is monstrous heavy and would be a beggar to move. Pleased with the results.

I am now thinking about another thing left on Plot2 by the previous incumbent, which was stashed out of the way, as I had too many other things to do to deal with non-urgent matters. If the mood holds, I may tweakle that outta there tomorrow and clean it up and see about bootsaling that. Even with an extra half plot, I cannot be doing with storing things I cannot or will not use.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i am flaked out now, back from allotment picking and already a bountiful harvest, 26.5 in the shade and 23 in the bedroom. It`s going to be an uncomfortable night

Doing all the spinning stuff was relatively easy and so were the books. I am leaving knitting stuff alone, got to have something to do. I have other things in there but am boggled so may or may not do them tomorrow. I need a fresh brain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure