Defrosted fridge freezer, fridge temp now too high.

Options
MrCheeseman
MrCheeseman Posts: 67 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've defrosted my fridge freezer, but after doing that, my fridge has stopped reaching a safe temperature zone. I've got the dial set to 7, max, but it's stuck one degree outside the safe zone on my fridge thermometer - I've also tried other thermometers, which give the same.

Conversely, my freezer is 12 degrees below the safe zone. Does anyone have any ideas what's up and what I can do? I've tried mucking about with the dial but no joy so far.

EDIT: It's been three days since I defrosted it.

Comments

• HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Given the ambient temperature is likely to be high I would give it several hours to get back to operating temperature. Leave the door closed rather than keep opening to check.
  • MrCheeseman
    Options
    HogMan wrote: »
    Given the ambient temperature is likely to be high I would give it several hours to get back to operating temperature. Leave the door closed rather than keep opening to check.

Whoops - forgot to mention how long it's been. It's been three days, and I've left the fridge overnight.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Are you sure 7 is the coldest, it might be 1.

Model No.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Does the switch rotate to an "off" position? If so, turn it off, then turn it on and rotate the switch to the middle of the numbers, then you know you are asking for a medium temperature. If you know the model number as requested in post # 4. you could search for the manual on-line OR you might even have the manual already!
  • MrCheeseman
    Options
    It's an LEC TS55174WTDW and, according to the online manual, 7 is the lowest temp and 0 is off. I've confirmed this by moving the dial to 0 which switches it off.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    When defrosting did you scrape the ice off? Sometimes the pipework can be damaged & the refrigerant gas can leak out.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • MrCheeseman
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    When defrosting did you scrape the ice off? Sometimes the pipework can be damaged & the refrigerant gas can leak out.

No, I just let it melt and emptied the water away.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It's an LEC TS55174WTDW and, according to the online manual, 7 is the lowest temp and 0 is off. I've confirmed this by moving the dial to 0 which switches it off.
    Now we are getting somewhere. When you rotate it slowly from 0 towards 7, or from 7 back to 0, can you hear it click at any point? If not, this would indicate that the thermostat has failed. Maybe you caught the end (if it is a visible one) whilst defrosting.
  • MrCheeseman
    MrCheeseman Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 August 2018 at 1:14AM
    Options
    It makes a click going to 0 and going back from 0. But I've tried setting the dial to 3 and the fridge hasn't buzzed on.

EDIT: Scratch that. It's currently humming, after a while but, as has been the case since I defrosted it, I can hear what sounds like a lot of dripping/water, more so than usual. I've moved the fridge and there's no water underneath, so it's presumbly going into the reservoir thing at the bottom.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 8 August 2018 at 11:45AM
    Options
    https://www.lec.co.uk/media/665618/lec-ts55174wtd.pdf

If this is a single compressor with air flow flap then the flap can get stuck as it ices up when turned back on.

might explain the freezer being colder as it is running to try and get the fridge down to temp.

(don't think this is frost free so it may work differently to my samsung which does have an airflow flap)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure