Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We did a few 'good food' pubs that let you take the van, generally found from here

Ooh thanks Redo that looks very useful, especially as the kitchen isn't in full operation just yet :)

I've also found a 'park for the night' app that covers motorway service stations etc - not as scenic but potentially useful if plans change suddenly.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    All sounds so exciting :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    I'm stopping by for an update even though I still haven't got my shuffle done :o - the receipts pile is growing on my desk!

No major spends but do need to claim expenses for a train ticket that wouldn't go through the normal work system. Still 'furnishing' the van, but the good news is that this is helping declutter because the extra bedding, duplicated kitchen utensils and a few small storage boxes are being rehomed there! I'm having to pick up a few bits but am making good use of loyalty points atm - ShopNScan has paid for 2/3 of a steel cafetiere (less breakable than glass), N3ctar points have bought a grater, corkscrew and kitchen scissors and C7ubcard points paid for part of salt and pepper grinders. It sounds like far too much kitchen stuff to be taking but there is cupboard space and I don't want to repeat those student moments of finding that a peeler or grater would save my sanity and fingers, nor do I have any intention of packing this stuff every time I want to escape!

Need to make a couple of calls tomorrow - Bu7b are screwing up my switch and there is a problem with a standing order form where someone forgot to fill in the frequency (not me!) so it has bounced.

Was intending to catch up with my extra contract work tonight but what I've actually done is organise that email inbox. Feels much more doable now that I can see what's waiting and have detoured all the rest. Hoping another couple of weeks will get that and the van project just about done :eek: and then... well, we'll see what happens next :D

Rosa xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    All sounding good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Rosa

When you do come up beyond the wall drop me a message and I'll give you some tips on routes and places to visit / head for. Maybe we could even meet up somewhere ;)

As you say the rules are different up here
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Hi Rosa

When you do come up beyond the wall drop me a message and I'll give you some tips on routes and places to visit / head for. Maybe we could even meet up somewhere ;)

As you say the rules are different up here

Thanks US that's very kind of you :)
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Rosa I am so behind! This all sounds bloody brilliant! How cool are you??

I am so jealous, not that I could drive something like that but wow, such freedom and fun :)

XXXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Rosa I am so behind! This all sounds bloody brilliant! How cool are you??

I am so jealous, not that I could drive something like that but wow, such freedom and fun :)

XXXX

Buffy! :j

It really isn't that difficult to drive, I've found it much easier to adjust than I expected. I think sitting high up probably helps. So don't let that hold you back ;):D
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rosa, I've just caught up on all your goings on since I was last properly here and I'm so impressed with all of your updates. You've made me look veritably stagnant! :o

I would also love more of a van life and currently lots of people who post their van expeditions on YouTube. You've really got me thinking about going for that weekend traveller experience. Thank you.

It's been lovely catching up with everything you have going on.

MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    :eek::eek:

Ok I have finally faced up to YNAB. Accounting for all the van stuff (including servicing and some work in August) and a new mattress, I am £1700 over budget for August and that's after allowing for my extra contract payment and pulling £500 out of the buffer fund. On the other hand, I am not at all sorry :D - definitely things that bring me joy :j. I can't believe it took me so long to buy a decent mattress, it's definitely worth it.

Barring disasters things will be back on an even keel in a few months, though then again there are the costs of going away in September to be accounted for. I think there will be less furniture bought over the winter than I thought! I am still paying off the CC in full and just leaving the rest to show in YNAB in red, so that I am reminded not to spend on things that don't bring me their full worth in joy :)

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family