Aligning the Stars

Options

Comments

• Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Kitten. The support on here has just been so lovely.

I don't really have anything to sell. When i moved in with Mr Star last year I ebayed/donated about 75% of our possessions. I only have half a wardrobe and 3 drawers of clothing and most of Star child's stuff goes to friends/family as handmedowns if it is any good. i might have an old laptop that could be wiped and sold, maybe so books but that's about it. we don't really have much 'stuff'
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Hi Starmummy :hello:

I agree with Redo, I think if you have the discipline not to spend from your overdraft, then it makes sense to shift it onto the 0% BT card and be done with that high interest, perhaps reducing it to a nominal £200 - £400 to allow for emergencies and peace of mind.

I found that once I cleared my overdraft, I became super determined never to go in it again. It also made me feel much more positive about the money I had in the bank - it was actually my money and I could do with it what I wanted.

You seem to have got the swing of this debt slaying thing - giving every £ a job at the start of the month is the secret to success. Also, being flexible and not beating yourself up if you overspend in one part of your budget, as you can always sacrifice ££s from somewhere else to make up the shortfall.

Good luck - look forward to keeping updated!
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    p.s. Dave Ramsey is really against shifting debt and doing the credit card shuffle as he thinks it makes people feel like they've achieved something when in actual fact, they have used debt to pay off debt.

I'm a bit more relaxed about it and think that if you can save yourself a good amount of interest, like you will do by shifting debt onto 0% cards and paying off your overdraft with a money transfer, then it can be a motivating step on your debt free journey.

But, keep in mind that you haven't achieved anything in terms of paying off debt. You've just made it more convenient. If you remind yourself of that, you will ease the temptation to use the cards / overdraft again, which is what we don't want you to do.
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Hi Starmummy :j

Keep up the fab work :beer::money:

Sam x
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Startmuumy
    Just wanted to drop in and cheer you on! Sounds like you're doing a great job so far! Id echo what the others said about the overdraft. It seems crazy paying those charges. Once I cleared my overdraft I didn't want to go back into it. I reduced it form £1000 to £100 like you say just in case a bill goes out when it shouldn't so I had a buffer. I NEVER go into it now though.
    I always said the same as you about not having anything to sell or much "stuff" however when I really started looking I had the odd bits and pieces I could sell even though they've not brought in a huge amount every penny helps.
    Good Luck!!! :)
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Starmummy
    edited 12 March 2018 at 2:20PM
    Options
    Hello folks and welcome to a lovely new week.

Still feeling pretty positive.
    All planned debt paying done for the month. That means from my LBM at the begining of Jan 2018 my debts look like this:
    Jan
    Overdraft £1000.00
    CC1 £2905.66
    CC2 £3681.65
    Loan1 £2486.60
    Loan2 £8087.42

Total = £18424.31
    :eek:

@Mar
    overdraft £1000.00
    CC1 £0.00
    CC2 £1868.47 (interst free until Sept 18)
    CC3 £3820.90 (interst free until 0ct 20)
    Loan1 £2113.61
    Loan2 £6984.59

Total = £15787.57

So i'm 15% and over £2600 gone forever in just 3 months. Fingers crossed I can keep momentum. :A

Reading through diaries has given me my culinary mojo back too which is great. I love cooking things from scratch and if I can get better at meal planning I could start saving us a lot of money in the joint account.

plan to make lentil soup for lunches and a big shepherds pie after work which should last a couple of days.

Things i'm grateful for last week.

*Mr Star flies back from work trip tonight and should be home tomorrow.
    *Starchild passed her swimming trials and is now a fully fledged member of the county swimming team.
    *i got the balance transfer card which will save me £900 in interest over the next 18 months.
    *had lovely lunches with my best friend and my parents this weekend. I only spent £11.81. I forget how much I love being social.

Challenges to face the rest of the month
    *my longest friends is getting married this summer. She is having a hen-do abroad and has invited me. It's £340 for hotel and flights in May plus spending monies. The old me would have said yes and whacked it on the credit card, but that is why I am in this mess. As much as it pains me I may have to suggest a quieter second hen-do at home. :(
    * In the next three weeks we are visiting family in Spain. Flights and accom sorted and spending money will come from the joint account so must keep grocery spend to the minimum. Also must break my usual habit of treating myself to half a suitcase of new holiday clothes. I don't need them and can't afford them.
    *MrStar's birthday and Star nephew's christening either side of Spain trip. Must not go overboard with presents.

Take care

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • Starmummy
    edited 13 March 2018 at 3:36PM
    Options
    Afternoon guys.

Feeling a little delicate today, I'm not sure if I am coming down with a bug or just a bit overtired. I was almost tempted to go to the local cafe for lunch with my team but decided against it. I still went across the road to the supermarket and bought things i didn't need though. Some rolls, ham and cream cheese (whispers *and biscuits*). It came to £5 and what I didn't eat can be made into the rest of the weeks' lunches for Starchild, so not that much of a waste. I wish I didn't turn to comfort eating when I am tired though. Thankfully I walk 5 miles a day so I've not got a weight issue but I just don't like using food as a crutch.

Mr Star's flight landed this morning, I can't wait to see him when I finish work. The first few months of the year are always full of business trips for him and so far this year we have spent more time apart than together.

I think I've decided to tell my friend that I can't join her on her hen-do I just don't have enough notice to get the money together and I will not get into further debt for it.

I'm still waiting on the physical paperwork for the BT card. I can't MT my overdraft until I have it as I can't set up online banking. I also can't set up a DD which is making me nervous as I'd rather get it done and give me one less thing to worry about.

Also annoyed with Ex who didn't turn up to see Starchild this weekend and still hasn't paid this months maintenance. It's not unusual behaviour so I'm not surprised, more annoyed at myself for still getting disappointed by it after all this time.

Must keep plodding on.

Take care
    SM
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm the same with the emotional eating, I either don't eat at all or I eat all of the things.
  • Starmummy
    Options
    Still need to book my car in for it's MOT. It was due on the 3rd and I had booked it in but the snow scuppered plans and i cancelled. I just know it's going to be expensive as I have a couple of electrical faults. Putting it off because it hasn't moved off my drive. I barely use it to be honest as I walk to work and we live 5 minutes from the town centre and Starchild's school. I still want to keep it though for monthly trips to my parents or sister and it's 12 years old and so not really worth selling because i wouldn't get much cheaper.
    Must book it in for the end of the month if i can before the Easter break. That way i can split the cost over this month and next months pay. may have to spend the £250 EF i will have built by then (hopefully it won't exceed that)
  • Starmummy
    Options
    I'm the same with the emotional eating, I either don't eat at all or I eat all of the things.

so much like me. some days i'll get to 8pm and realise I've lived off two cups of tea all day. others I can finish a packet of jaffa cakes in one breath :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback