Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I opened the regular saver on the 10th October, received account details on the 12th via post and went to register online and was told to enter password (knew I hadn't set one up during application, so rang them and told it would come in post).

As I said, I haven't received my account number.

What I received today is a temporary password.

Using the web address given in the letter (coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/setup) simply asked for my temporary password and allowed me to change it.

It did not ask for anything else, such as name/username/account number.

To register you had to put in your account number, so how did you register to change password?

If you've been given a 9 digit number then this is your account number and it says to omit the 1st digit. Sort code I was given was 40-63-01.

All I have been able to do is change the temporary password they have sent.

I suspect that might be part 2 of the registration process.

I have not been given a 9 digit number or sort code. Only a temporary password:cool:.

colsten wrote: »
    If you are able to login now, can you not see the account? Best to call them then.

I'm not able to log in as (wait for it....) I haven't been given my account number:mad::p

I'll see if it arrives tomorrow. If not I'll call them.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 October 2019 at 3:07PM
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »

I'm not able to log in as (wait for it....) I haven't been given my account number:mad::p
    Ah right. You want to register for online access, not actually login (yet). Didn't you say you have online access, and the dreaded grid card, already, from years ago? If I misunderstand and you need to register first, you are, I am sorry to say, quite a way from being able to login - - - you'll have to wait until they send you your web ID* and your grid card, too. That, ISTR, is triggered by registering for online access. Once you have taken that hurdle, everything will be a breeze........ But how did you register without an account number?

*EDIT: just seen you appear to have your web ID already. I am not sure why you still need an account number to log in. Web Id, password, DOB, and 3 chars from the grid card is all I need to login. You really should call them to figure out wots wot.
  • badger09
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Ah right. You want to register for online access, not actually login (yet). Didn't you say you have online access, and the dreaded grid card, already, from years ago? If I misunderstand and you need to register first, you are, I am sorry to say, quite a way from being able to login - - - you'll have to wait until they send you your web ID* and your grid card, too. That, ISTR, is triggered by registering for online access. Once you have taken that hurdle, everything will be a breeze........ But how did you register without an account number?

*EDIT: just seen you appear to have your web ID already. I am not sure why you still need an account number to log in. Web Id, password, DOB, and 3 chars from the grid card is all I need to login. You really should call them to figure out wots wot.

I'm clearly failing miserably to explain my position:o

I don't have:
    Account number or sort code
    Web ID
    Grid Card

I do have:
    Temporary password - which I was able to change by following the address in the letter. However, that page was not a login page and all I could do was amend the temporary password.

The letter also says:
    To access online services
    • If the account you have automatically provides Online Services, the remaining security items you'll need to log in will be sent to you when your password is set up
    • If your account doesn't automatically provide Online Services, when your password has been set up, go to coventrybuildingsociety.co.ul/online-services to arrange this
    • You'll need your full nine digit account number and your password to register for Online Services. You can find your account number in your welcome letter

I'm puzzled by the order in which Coventry seem to be sending these

Unfortunately, I haven't kept a record of my old login details, having last had an account with Coventry in August 2012. I've long since shredded the dreaded Grid Card;)

I'll see what arrives tomorrow.
  • grnglide
    grnglide Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't have any of the online credentials (account number, web id etc) how are you identifying yourself to change the password?
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2019 at 8:53PM
    Options

I don't have:
    Web ID
    Grid Card

I do have:
    Temporary password - which I was able to change by following the address in the letter. However, that page was not a login page and all I could do was amend the temporary password.

The letter also says:
    To access online services
    • If the account you have automatically provides Online Services, the remaining security items you'll need to log in will be sent to you when your password is set up
    • If your account doesn't automatically provide Online Services, when your password has been set up, go to coventrybuildingsociety.co.ul/online-services to arrange this
    • You'll need your full nine digit account number and your password to register for Online Services. You can find your account number in your welcome letter

I'm puzzled by the order in which Coventry seem to be sending these

Unfortunately, I haven't kept a record of my old login details, having last had an account with Coventry in August 2012. I've long since shredded the dreaded Grid Card;)

I'll see what arrives tomorrow.
    Seems that one of the snowstorm of missives Coventry send you when opening an account may have gone astray.

The first of the letters should give you your account number (but not the sort code) and one of the several booklets and forms you'll eventually receive. You'll need to search one of the booklets to find the sort-code. Then iirc you should get three or four more letters with your temporary password (and a strange form for you to tell them what it is), a telephone PIN, and finally a grid card for you, and anyone else who sees it, to use. It's all very wacky.

Bear in mind that this is a fixed term product, with a charge for early withdrawal, but with a variable interest rate. Bit of an imbalance there.

Or you could put as much as you want elsewhere in a fixed term product with a fixed rate of interest of around 0.5% less.

If you had remembered your old password and kept the grid card, it wouldn't have done you any good as Coventry delete your login details when you cease having a live account. Otherwise it would be far too easy. :)
  • jimbow25
    jimbow25 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am looking at transferring an old current account to M&S Money to take advantage of the 5% regular saver that remains. I already have 5% ones with HSBC and First Direct (which have now dropped for new openings of course) so it's intriguing that this one alone is still available 5%. I only had 2 DDs on the old current account so it may take a couple of weeks to sort out two more prior to transfer.

I wonder if this is likely to remain at 5% for long, or if this is just an accident of timing. They are all under the same umbrella aren't they.
  • badger09
    Options
    grnglide wrote: »
    If you don't have any of the online credentials (account number, web id etc) how are you identifying yourself to change the password?

I don't have:
    Web ID
    Grid Card

I do have:
    Seems that one of the snowstorm of missives Coventry send you when opening an account may have gone astray.

Yes, that's what I had assumed. Unfortunately, nothing has arrived today

The first of the letters should give you your account number (but not the sort code) and one of the several booklets and forms you'll eventually receive. You'll need to search one of the booklets to find the sort-code. Then iirc you should get three or four more letters with your temporary password (and a strange form for you to tell them what it is), a telephone PIN, and finally a grid card for you, and anyone else who sees it, to use. It's all very wacky.

Bear in mind that this is a fixed term product, with a charge for early withdrawal, but with a variable interest rate. Bit of an imbalance there.

Or you could put as much as you want elsewhere in a fixed term product with a fixed rate of interest of around 0.5% less.

I might just do that

If you had remembered your old password and kept the grid card, it wouldn't have done you any good as Coventry delete your login details when you cease having a live account. Otherwise it would be far too easy. :)

Thanks. Small comfort though:p

• Psyduck1980
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    The conditions seem to emphasise 'by one standing order'.

Does this mean that they are like HSBC/First Direct/M&S Bank and Santander with a fixed date that may not be the FOTM? And does it mean that once set the amount of the standing order can't be changed?

TIA :)
    karlie88 wrote: »
    Amount and date can be changed.

It also allows a 13th payment with interest being earned on the 13th payment.
    schiff wrote: »
    TY :) I suppose what I'm asking is if I pay £400 mid-month when my switch completes, can I pay in a further £400 on November 1st? I would worry that having set a deposit date mid-month, would I still be granted full interest from November 1st, rather than from the monthly opening date, ie missing out on half a month's interest for the rest of the term?
    I have been grappling with someone on Lloyd's live chat this afternoon about this very issue and I remain massively confused by this T&C: you can save £25-£400 every month by one standing order. This needs to be in your account before the 25th of the month. Please can someone help me understand what this means in practical terms?

I was going to set up the RS on 25/10/19 and make a deposit of £400 immediately. I would then set up a SO of £400 on the 25th of the month for 11 further months. I understand that if the 25th falls on a bank holiday or weekend the SO wouldn't credit until the next working day but I can live without a day or two of interest. Is it OK for me to do this or am I missing something? What date(s) would maximise interest over the 12 month term?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 October 2019 at 7:34PM
    Options
    I have been grappling with someone on Lloyd's live chat this afternoon about this very issue and I remain massively confused by this T&C: you can save £25-£400 every month by one standing order. This needs to be in your account before the 25th of the month. Please can someone help me understand what this means in practical terms?

I was going to set up the RS on 25/10/19 and make a deposit of £400 immediately. I would then set up a SO of £400 on the 25th of the month for 11 further months. I understand that if the 25th falls on a bank holiday or weekend the SO wouldn't credit until the next working day but I can live without a day or two of interest. Is it OK for me to do this or am I missing something? What date(s) would maximise interest over the 12 month term?

Do the opening and initial payment by as near the 25th as you dare. Never tried it myself, but it is said that this doesn't need to be an SO. Then, hike the remaining 12 (yes - 12) SOs back to the first of the following months (1st Nov to 1st Oct inclusive), which gets rid of all the ambiguity - and makes you more money.
  • badger09
    Options
    From more than 5 year's experience with Club Lloyds Monthly Saver, I can confirm that the 1st payment does not have to be by SO.

I can also confirm that subsequent SOs can be set for 1st of the month & that it is possible to fit in 13 payments.

I wouldn't leave it until 25th to open & fund it though, in case, for some reason, the initial FP doesn't arrive immediately
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure