PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...havent spent today...the weather is awful so stayed in...just made some bread rolls...they smell nice and have sent the lovely smell all over he house...cant be bad

we are having roast turkey tomorrow that was reduced at xmas...might do the last christmas pudding for afters....hopefully we should have leftovers of the turkey for a few packups next week

bye for now
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hippeechiq, your barbeque pork recipe looks scrummy, definitely going to try that this week ;)
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • heidi-rose_2
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this - spent the whole day on my Budget with scary results. So I'm trying to cut my Grocery budget down to £300 per month
    Heidi-Rose
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I went to Son of Morris today, not where I normally do my shopping, I find some of their fruit and veg lose their freshness very quickly. But I get my cat liter there, it's £1.56 a bag, £4.68 for three bags.

I used to get So Good soya milk for my cereals, but I have changed to supermarket own brand, which is acceptable. I think one company must make it for all the supermarkets because it tastes the same wherever you get it from. At 99p it is 27p cheaper than So Good. I tried Alpro but I don't like that, and I don't like the long life stuff either.

I bought two jars of value honey, 67p each. I have stopped putting sugar in my coffee and use honey instead. Probably more expensive but I want to cut down on sugar.

My other items were...
    2 x McCartney Lasagne 92p each. I like to have a ready meal in the freezer to warm up when I am too tired to cook. I limit these to one a month.
    Celery 50p, will make soup with this.
    Spring rolls, on offer, 50p. Would never pay full price for these.
    Six pack of Whiskas £3.43. I am supplying food for two rescue cats untill we can get them rehomed.
    Punnet of plums on offer £1. Need to get some fruit inside me.
    Naan bread reduced to 15p.
    Sliced ham for the cats, reduced to 59p.
    Total £15.02

Popped in Alllldi when passing. Butternut squash 67p, five bananas for 50p. Noticed that celery was 45p, !!!!!!, 5p less than S o M.

Called in at the cash and carry open to the public on the way home. Bought two cartons of Pomegranet juice for 50p each. I dilute this so get double drinks out of it.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • fingersxed
    Options
    Hi Everybody

Just to cheer u all up and make u feel beta about ur selfs I have spent nearly halh my monthly budget already:mad:

I have had a ride out to costco. Stocked up on meat, cooking ingredients and cleaning stuff. Some of this SHOULD LAST several months? or so I'm hoping.:eek:

I will really have to watch my step for the next 23 days!!! Do feel nicely stocked up now. Plenty of meat in freezer, biggest part of cooking/bakin ingredients. Should in THEORY only need fresh fruit n veg, bread n milk. Oh and abit of beer. Haha

Hope you all doin beta than me. Have a gd weekend
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oops, during the week I've managed to spend £12 on little trips to the shop :( Although that did include £4 spent on a box of chocolate :) Must try better this week!
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    £4.88 spent today in Lidl - one bottle of olive oil, 2 x packs of diced pork and 2 x bags of crisps.

I do need to go to Tesco on Monday as need tomatoes, potatoes and watercress for next weeks meals. Also, need some hairspray, but not for meals :p I will try my hardest not to buy anything else! I'm going to do a freezer list again one day next week then do a meal plan for the rest of the month
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    Spends to declare:
    £12 on another veg box yesterday
    £1.86 in @sda on some peppers and spring onions
    £1.97 on some streaky bacon from the butchers

Hmm thinks this is getting my close to the full £70. I was beginning to feel it was not a realistic target for me, but we will see how I go.

Off to update sig.
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    we are having roast turkey tomorrow that was reduced at xmas...might do the last christmas pudding for afters....hopefully we should have leftovers of the turkey for a few packups next week

Yes me too tessie. It is a really huge one bought a couple of weeks ago at a very cheap price from the Co Op. It is cooking as I type! Hope you enjoy yours.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    Lazy dinner as I've been feeling off colour. Pasta for OH and used up some eggs and almost OOD s/salmon for me. Going to make bread tomorrow - before I go to Mr T (just in case it doesn't work). Beef Crumble started - need the stuffing topping from shop tomorrow. Also making Coq au Vin so we have dinner ready for monday (community meeting to protest at location of allotments - probably going to be the best attended in years)
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport