PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• JennyBee_2
    Options
    ok, I have a challenge for the new year....from January I want to get our GC down to £100 a month. Now I know it's possible because you lot already do it! I'm assuming that once the baby is born I'll be able to breastfeed (big assumption I know!) and that it'll be in reusable nappies for most of the time so "hopefully" the fact that there is a baby about shouldn't actually increase our grocery spend too much.
    Basically, being able to do this will make maternity leave pay a little easier to handle and also mean that I shouldn't (fingers crossed) need to go back to work full time but can manage on a few evenings and 1 full day at the weekend working.

We already meal plan and we don't have takeaways. We already have money going into separate accounts each month to cover yearly things like MOT, car tax, caravan insurance etc (not necessary but cheap holidays!) I'm desperately trying to work out where we can cut back without being unrealistic but I just end up staring at my budget spreadsheet without getting anywhere!

Is there anything really obvious that I'm missing?

I guess if all else fails I just have to hope the OH gets a massive payrise in the next year!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JennyBee wrote: »
    ok, I have a challenge for the new year....from January I want to get our GC down to £100 a month. Now I know it's possible because you lot already do it! ...
    £50 is a massive reduction, a third of your current GC spend :eek:

I'd suggest that you drop your total gradually; so, maybe take £10 off next month and see how you do, and if that works, reduce another £10 in January.

.... and I have my finger crossed for that massive payrise for your oh ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, if you're going to put butternut squash in a soup, the easiest way I've found to deal with it is to roast it in the oven in quarters with a little oil until it's soft, then you can scoop it out. Saves all that awful peeling time and also adds a little extra flavour!

I never bother peeling butternut squash, either for soup or roasting to eat. The skin goes lovely and caramelised.

If we are having it for something that does require peeling.eg.risotto, then I save the peelings to chuck in my next batch of soup!

Hope this hasnt come across as pushy, was just wanting to let people know you can eat the skin.
    X
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ok, I have a challenge for the new year....from January I want to get our GC down to £100 a month. Now I know it's possible because you lot already do it! I'm assuming that once the baby is born I'll be able to breastfeed (big assumption I know!) and that it'll be in reusable nappies for most of the time so "hopefully" the fact that there is a baby about shouldn't actually increase our grocery spend too much.
    Basically, being able to do this will make maternity leave pay a little easier to handle and also mean that I shouldn't (fingers crossed) need to go back to work full time but can manage on a few evenings and 1 full day at the weekend working.

We already meal plan and we don't have takeaways. We already have money going into separate accounts each month to cover yearly things like MOT, car tax, caravan insurance etc (not necessary but cheap holidays!) I'm desperately trying to work out where we can cut back without being unrealistic but I just end up staring at my budget spreadsheet without getting anywhere!

I guess if all else fails I just have to hope the OH gets a massive payrise in the next year!
    Hi there Jenny,
    You have the right approach re breastfeeding- assume it will go well, and that you WILL perservere for the often first grueling week (s), but have a little small inclination how much you will have to spend if you do end up going down the formula route. When bf'ing you will maybe eat a little more, you are supposed to, and be drinking plenty (although tap water is free!), now would be a good time to think of easy and nutritious snacks to stock up on, for you. Also maybe do a little extra batch cooking so that you and DH don't have to face making meals as well as looking after bubs. For snacks things like ryvita/oatcake with cheese and tomato, beans on toast, cereal and milk etc are good ones and easy to do. We ate a lot of simple HM pizza too, and soups as they are easy to make/heat, yet good for you. Ok, hope this does not sound patronising :o.
    Once bubs is on solids then you can make your own easily and cheaply, sweet pots, carrots, butternut squash etc, and porridge for brekkie etc (porridge good for you too). I would say just have a small contingency/baby surprise fund, JUST IN CASE, and other than that good luck.
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• mummy2mygirls
    Options

Hello and congrats on the new baby, we have no3 due in March. I would agree with some of the comments that have already been said. I was very unfortunate and just didnt get on with breast feeding with both my girls but i will give it a go again and hope to do better this time. just incase it doesnt work i used to spend about £6 a big pot of formular and it would last about a week. I am planning on trying to get some reusable nappies as i believe they will help cut costs.......
    anyway my main point was to try and batch cook some meals in the freezer for after baby is born as you really might not feel like cooking sometimes. I plan on making lots that i can just get out and re heat as then we can still eat nice and healthy as last time we did resort to take aways more often then normal as i really didnt feel up to it! also if available take any offers you can, my mum will often offer for us to come for dinner etc, helps loads....
    when Breast feeding eat a little more to help the milk come through and drink lots! good luck and i hope you do well with the breast feeding.
    xx
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • keld
    keld Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    kiwichick wrote: »
    I never bother peeling butternut squash, either for soup or roasting to eat. The skin goes lovely and caramelised.

If we are having it for something that does require peeling.eg.risotto, then I save the peelings to chuck in my next batch of soup!

Hope this hasnt come across as pushy, was just wanting to let people know you can eat the skin.
    X

I didn't know that and I love butternut squash.

Thanks everyone:T. I made soup and will do roast veggies tonight. I liked the idea of veggie stew and dumplings - but how do you make dumpings?
    Mortgage [strike]£70,000[/strike] £1:j
    MF date [strike]31/08/2021[/strike] 6th February 2012:A

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    keld wrote: »
    ... I liked the idea of veggie stew and dumplings - but how do you make dumpings?

I use the recipe on the suet packet, I think its half suet to flour, season and mix with water then drop spoonfuls into the stew pan about 15/20 mins before serving. ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I think it's an appropriate time to post the GC guidelines again ;) Please keep the thread on topic, or Pink-winged and I may need to come and prune some posts :o

Penny. x

Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?

This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the
    Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • WelshWoofer
    Options
    Morning all!
    Sorry I've not been around much this month - I have been travelling a lot with work and not had much internet access.

Anyway, this weekend Mr S delivered my "big" shop - came to £69 and was late so got a £10 late delivery voucher for the next shop. I forgot a few things and one or two things were undelivered (I don't usually like the substitutes they provide so don't request them) so a quick trip to Mr Ts followed with an £11 spend - so a total of £80 spent this weekend. The freezer and cupboards are bursting now though - there's enough meat and fish to last at least 2 weeks (probably 3) and plenty of veggie stuff for me.
    I hopefully won't need much more than bread, milk, cheese and F&V for the rest of the month - which I've just realised is only a week and a half (and this weeks stuff is already bought) so will hopefully stick to the budget for the first time in a good while!

I have to do next weeks meal plan - there's lots of meals in it's just a case of planning who's having what and when to try to maximise the stores we have.

I also seem to have enough toiletries to last until December but may need toilet paper and one or two cleaning items.

I'll be very happy if I can economise a bit this month and put it towards Xmas food spends next month (I have the tribe staying with us for 3 days so feeding 6 instead of 2 and a dog!:eek: )
    I have some Mr T vouchers that add up to about £15 to use and a Mr S online £10 voucher that I have to check whether there's a minmium spend (although I don't think there is - fingers crossed). So maybe already have about £25ish to put towards the mega shop due for Xmas! My mum usually contributes with about £50 worth of Mr T stamps too so hopefully I can stick to an actual spend (cash) of about £40:confused: .

Anyway, the sig is updated and I'm quietly optimistic......
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooops the Budget is blown this month.But heyho as they say considering the dire times that other people who post on this forum are having at the mo a blown budget is hardly the end of the world.There's always next month

Lesleyxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport