Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ddrago
    • By Ddrago 5th Dec 18, 5:57 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ddrago
    I may have went on a several hour drive in the dark with just sidelights on. Q about penalty points
    • 5th Dec 18, 5:57 PM
    I may have went on a several hour drive in the dark with just sidelights on. Q about penalty points 5th Dec 18 at 5:57 PM
    Hi
    I had a hire car for work and had to drive in the early hours of the morning. I thought the headlights were on but I have realised that I may have had only the sidelights on. I'm worried about the potential consequences of this. Is it possible in could get penalty points multiple times from the one journey?
    Thanks
Page 4
    • Deanston
    • By Deanston 6th Dec 18, 9:12 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Deanston
    Aiding and abetting is only applicable to indictable offences. Most of those above are not.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Doesn't really matter though does it?

No lights isn't indictable and doesn't need a NIP.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Dec 18, 9:18 PM
    • 11,071 Posts
    • 11,697 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Aiding and abetting is only applicable to indictable offences. Most of those above are not.
    Okay.

Not my words, but those of the CPS.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 6th Dec 18, 9:58 PM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 2,252 Thanks
    Car 54
    Okay.

Not my words, but those of the CPS.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Which particular part of that vast document do you consider relevant?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Dec 18, 10:01 PM
    • 11,071 Posts
    • 11,697 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Which particular part of that vast document do you consider relevant?
    The words "or aiding and abetting any of the above".

They only appear once.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 7th Dec 18, 8:06 AM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 2,252 Thanks
    Car 54
    The words "or aiding and abetting any of the above".

They only appear once.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Not for the first time, the CPS policy seems at odds with the law. Accessories and Abettors Act 1861, section 8.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Dec 18, 8:24 AM
    • 33,140 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I shouldnt worry about it OP, I see loads of drivers with either no lights on, just side lights on or 1 working headlight and they aren't caught.

In future familiarise yourself with lights etc.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 07-12-2018 at 8:32 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,528Posts Today

6,691Users online

Martin's Twitter