PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• juliebunny
    juliebunny Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And thank you peeps for the words of encouragement. It's good to know I'm 'normal.'
    As a recovering toiletries addict today I cleared out 'that drawer.'....a few bits to go to a friend and a couple don't smell quite right...I'd been saving them for presents but all my friends have too much already so I just stashed them...
    And now they're no good )-:
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 March 2017 at 8:52PM
    Options
    camelot. I feel for you. I mis-read your post, thought they had moved in with you. Oh dear, we did that for quite a few months for our dd. It`s what family do

I have finished my feng shui book and there are some excellent resonating points in there, also a few things that are a bit too `away with the fairies` for me but generally, superb advice. I`ll take a few bits eg old emotions get stuck and produce clutter. Be gentle with yourself during this (clearing) process, letting go is like peeling an onion. We hold onto things when we don`t feel safe at some primal level. Clutter is stuck energy. Clutter attracts clutter. We need to look at why we hold onto clutter. Clutter blind spots. I paid good money for this, but every time you see it your energy drops as you remember the wate of money because you never use it. Photographs, scared that the good times are over

I have just put up a few points but I could relate to each of them. I have a clutter blind spot ie my study/craft room and that about the photos is what came over me through the whole process. I just went into my study and took out five books relating to paractitioner stuff from the past and they are in my shopping trolley for the cs. I cannot release my good professional books, what if? I might need them for me or someone in my family and anyway they cost a bomb!! I am stuck, still. So I have done the easy onion layers and am now going deeper and deeper into the psychological stuff.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had a weekend away visiting friends, then had a tyre blow out on the motorway on the way home. Managed to get to the service station then ended up being brought home by two car transporters as the car has no spare wheel. Absolutely ridiculous, OH's choice, expensive car, he's said in the past it's OK, it has run flat tyres good for 50 miles...... but we were 100 miles away. Still we're OK and so is the car.

We visited a large retail opportunity on Saturday. OMG the sheer amount of 'stuff' was overwhelming. We managed to escape with just a tea towel (gift for neighbour looking after our cat), corkscrew in the shape of a bottle (as a joke gift for a friend who has invited us to bring a bottle to her party), and a bottle of gin, which will eventually be Kondo'd along with ice and tonic water.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all.

kittie, I was very taken with Karen Kingston's little book about feng shui, it made a lot of sense to me, although by temperament, I've a low tolerance threshold for anything I consider to be superstitious clap-trap.

Re your professional books, may I ask if they are still current with your profession's practices and rules? And, if so, are they realistically likely to be current for much longer? The reason I ask is that such things tend to change over time, and the once invaluable repositiory of knowledge can end up an expensive paperweight.

Sometimes, we hang onto things because of the value they had, without realising that it is dwindling away until we either try to gift them or sell them, and find that they're now irrelevent at best, and misleading at worst.

Not a professional book, but my brother (an online bookseller) and I were leafing through our mother's copy of a 1960s home-making and childcare book. Among other horrors, it recommended asbestos floor tiles as being ideal for the nursery.:eek:

In all conscience, we considered some of the other advice therein equally risky and chucked it in the bin.

:D Can see by my daily weigh-in that I've misplaced 2.1 kg of flab since last Monday (can't see where from, plenty left to go :o) but pretty satisfied with that, especially since I haven't stinted the good food. Yesterday afternoon, I nipped into little tosspots at closing time, sashayed past the discounted pastries, which were a weakness of mine, and bought some heavily-reduced daffodils instead.

These are sitting beside me now in a tall, clear glass jug, and giving much joy (and so very non-fattening, too:p). For 30p spent, I expect many hours of pleasure in the next few days and then they'll go into the compost with no regrets.

Will be busy today with work and round a pal's this evening, so not a lot of time to kondo anything, but tomorrow is another day. Have a good spring equinox, lovely peeps.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that tyre thing is common, I think, slinky. We had a real spare tyre as an added on extra when we bought our car. Ok, I carry extra weight every journey but reading your post makes me glad that we added one. It does take up boot room but there is an added upside for me, in that the boot floor is now flat and level with the bumper, so I can roll heavy stuff out into a wheelbarrow

No kondo today, except I am going to throw out old useless cracked gardening gloves, to be replaced by a pack of yummy new ones from costco. Hope they are in store as I am off there later. Did lots of plying of spun fibre last night but will put it all in a labelled box when skeined and washed, so will be ready to knit and will take less space than fibre. I will start another bundle of fibre afterwards, the nibbling effect. This study/craft room of mine only takes nibbling, I cannot do a lot at a time, like undoing a pile of ravelled string. Oh yes, my felted fox is amazing, makes me smile

A bit of tlc will be required this week if you have fragile plant babies out, I am covering new sown seeds on the allotment with fleece later and bringing some seedlings indoors for the nights
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 8:12AM
    Options
    yes re the books GQ. They are very current but are on the back burner for now. My feng shui book is by Davina Mackail. I don`t understand anyone putting all these `cures` out in the uk,like, three legged toads, the cures come from a long tradition of superstition in china and are not relevant to us here. Items like mirrors make a lot of sense as does retained energy in a home. Important to have the hall clear and the centre of the home with no cluttered blackspots in corners, which would include spare rooms, wardrobes, cupboards and drawers
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Agree about the funny oriental knick-knacks, they're not part of our cultural history so don't have a deep resonance for us.

As a girl, even under 10, I was constantly sneaking off to re-arrange the furniture in my bedroom. So much so, that I was expressly forbidden from doing it. I became expert at moving furniture, even executing 33-point turns of my double-divan in a very small bedroom.

I was working to optimise the arrangement of objects in a small space, because some things just felt plain wrong to me. I'm also very sensitive to colours, some just make me flinch, and a new colour in a room can dramatically increase it's livability.

And oh, the subtraction of clutter is such a joyful thing, the best of all.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm always being told off by everyone for rearranging rooms but I've always had to work with stuff I had rather than stuff that would suit the room. Since moving here 5 years ago it's taken a good few years to shuffle and sort stuff into the right places but I think, finally, that I'm done.

You may recall I got rid of a large Welsh dresser a few weeks ago, gorgeous piece of furniture that I'd lovingly stripped and painted and it sat in the kitchen looking pretty but something kept bugging me about it. One of our cats, who for the past 3 years has acted like hes part Tasmanian devil, part tom cat, was always trying to scale the dresser and would parquor across the room to get up there.....he earned the nick name of "gitface". Anyway, since the dresser left, this whirling dervish of a cat has settled into a purring, dribbling ball of fluffy lap cat. I know I feel calmer without it in the house, DH does too (and he's the biggest sceptic going on stuff like this) and I think the cats reaction really shows that some things do block or aggravate the flow in a house.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    bedroom.

I was working to optimise the arrangement of objects in a small space, because some things just felt plain wrong to me..

yes oh yes, that is intuition at work. I feel it too and eg removing my orange/black based peruvian woven hangings and coverings from my snug, it has made a world of difference. I put up a light coloured wall hanging instead, basically cream with birds on a tall tree and it has felt good ever since. Last night I read that this area on my house is wind/wood :D and looking at my hanging, most birds are flying and the tree is wood :D. The energy has come back into this room but it is dampened a little bit by some gentle relaxed hares made from bronze and resin and that is what I want, I don`t want to feel too energised or too sleepy in this room. Co-incidentally, my one picture in this room is a dreamy large photo of an elan valley forest surreal trees with tuffets and humps of lichen but is in a gold coloured frame. It always felt right here

pooky, amazing how cats know. I also believe that second hand furniture can carry energies from past owners. I have thrown items out in the distant past that had bad vibes
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had a massive blitz yesterday and rearranged the furniture and there is very little on the floors, it feels lovely and clear.:) Everything is put away so it is easier to vacuum.

My husband has (what I consider to be) a lot of clutter still.:mad: He considers it worth keeping as it is his old records, CD and book collections. Oh well, it is all neatly stacked away in our main cupboard and he did find an old playstation to sell and some stuff to be taken to the dump.

My living room and bedroom feel much more spacious and restful. I have fresh and dried flowers and candles out on the tables which bring me much joy.:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure