Can I get freeview with broadband?

Options
Hello..

I've recently moved into a new property. I don't watch much tv and am happy with freeview. I do however need wifi.

If I get a broadband only deal, and I already have a smart tv, can I watch freeview via a internet connection to the smart tv? I've tried to look around, some sites are saying I need an aerial for freeview or some kind of box (even though I currently have freeview on my ground floor TV without any aerial on my house).

Basically I need freeview and wifi on my upstairs tv, do I have to get the tv package or will broadband only do?

Thanks.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 September 2019 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Troy_af wrote: »
    Hello..

I've recently moved into a new property. I don't watch much tv and am happy with freeview. I do however need wifi.

If I get a broadband only deal, and I already have a smart tv, can I watch freeview via a internet connection to the smart tv? I've tried to look around, some sites are saying I need an aerial for freeview or some kind of box (even though I currently have freeview on my ground floor TV without any aerial on my house).

Basically I need freeview and wifi on my upstairs tv, do I have to get the tv package or will broadband only do?

Thanks.

You can use the smart apps on the tv or via a Fire Stick, Now TV box or Roku stick.
  • Neil_Jones
    Options
    Freeview you need an aerial for, not an internet connection.

Other apps like Amazon, Netflix, NowTV etc need an internet connection.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 September 2019 at 12:42AM
    Options

freeview needs an aerial
    freesat needs a dish
    streaming & catchup needs broadband

I don't think every channel on freeview is available online, but bbc/itv/ch4/ch5/dave are.

You might want to get a box with a remote that lets you stream to your tv (if your tv doesn't allow it already). I've used to use a now tv box (without paying any money to sky, so I only had the free channels). Now I have a youview box I got from ebay, I mostly watch catchup but occasionally watch live tv over an aerial.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Id get a firestick 4k,much cheaper than an aerial.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only the main providers BBC ITV Channel 4 and Five plus Play on catchup .
    Freeview via BB no even the ones that supply a TV service Freeview needs an airial .
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 September 2019 at 9:36AM
    Options

When a BB provider talks about a "TV Package", they generally mean a Pay TV package, possibly bundled with equipment to view it on.

With many providers, that equipment also receives Freeview channels.

If you only want Freeview, then there is no need to pay for a TV package with your BB provider. But you will need a suitable aerial and either a compatible TV or a Set-top box.

There is some info here:https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/cheaper-sky-cheap-cable/

As above, you cannot receive the whole of Freeview via the Internet (yet). However, you can access content from BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and UKTV via the Internet, as catch-up (and in some cases, live broadcasts).
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    Hello..
    I've tried to look around, some sites are saying I need an aerial for freeview or some kind of box (even though I currently have freeview on my ground floor TV without any aerial on my house).

If the signal is strong enough downstairs to get freeview without an aerial, have you tried it upstairs? If you don't want an external aerial, have you tried a portable internal one to see if that is enough?
  • Bigphil1474
    Options
    OP, you can't get Freeview without an aerial. You must have something connected to your TV or via a box to your TV. As above, if you have signal strength, a portable aerial might work on your upstairs TV, so you can watch Freeview. If you get BB, then if your TV is Wi-Fi enabled, it should be okay to connect to your router (which would normally be downstairs).
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are several apps you can install to watch uk tv,there all free,BBc Iplayer,ITV Hub and my favourite is one called Freesat.
    No point in paying £150 for an aerial.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2019 at 7:05PM
    Options
    Yes you can:
    https://tvplayer.com/freeview/

I have it via TV Player on this desktop and also via the App on my tablet. No HD unless you take the Premium (pay) channel. On the Basic choice, there are ads.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family