virgin V6 remote does not work in radio signal

Options
I have just set up a new VM connection with a V6 box. I should like to store the V6 box in a cupboard built under the TV for this purpose and designed to keep its door shut. To operate the remote with V6 box in a cupboard , I need my remote operated by radio signal not infra red. The remote supplied is supposed to come ready programmed and paired with the V6 box. It did not.

However not to worry, there are two methods specifically given in the VM user guide on how to do this. I have tried both and while they appear to operate correctly I still cannot use the remote when the V6 box is in the cupboard with the door shut.

Now I have read that a different model remote is needed to pair with the V6 - one slightly smaller than the standard remote and with a slightly different arrangement of the buttons on the front. The standard remote will not pair with the V6 using a radio signal . Anyone had this problem and solved it?

Comments

• niktheguru
    niktheguru Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can definitely operate the V6 box without having to point it at the box. Like you've said you need to pair the remote with the box which is in the settings menu.

The remote you need is the smaller V6 remote which should have come with your v6 box (not the large one that comes with the old tivo 500gb boxes) The way you tell them apart is that the smaller remote has the virgin media logo at the bottom embossed in black (like an indentation) whereas the larger remote has a white and red logo printed on the bottom of the remote. Just give virgin a call and they'll send one out to you.

Alternatively they are readily available on ebay or amazon for under a tenner.

Good luck!
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That's interesting. My remote has the black logo but I still cannot get it to control the V6 box when the box is inside the cupboard, although it appears to programme correctly. It does still respond to the infra red in line if in line of sight. Wil have another go with pairing. Is there a maximum distance the remote will operate from the V6 box inside a cupboard.?
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you have a Tivo remote and not a v6 remote
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts