How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl?

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    almost everything is bought now in Aldi's or Lidl's and I rarely go anywhere else. I am not fussed about labels, I shop with the contents of my purse in mind. I mainly cook from scratch so never buy ready made stuff like quiches anyway as they ar cheap as chips to make( don't buy chips either ,just peel a spud slice into wedges, drizzle with a bit of oil and chuck in the oven on a tray. But then I only shop now twice a month and I am very easily pleased :):):)
    Charlotte new potatoes are great for wedges. I used to buy them from Tesco but they're even cheaper in Aldi.

Missing from the shelves in Aldi:
    Magnum lime washing up liquid. Don't know if it was just a stock issue when I went at the beginning of this week or if they've dropped it from their stock altogether.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    But then I only shop now twice a month
    I am very impressed with this! But I feel that I have got to the point in life that I don't need to deprive myself of anything, besides which I'm happy to go to Lidl for a single item as the round trip gives me an hour's walk.

This week I bought some Imperial Leather shower gel (500ml+50% free) for 99p. Its been available for over eighteen months but has suddenly disappeared from the shelves of Poundland in favour of a much smaller bottle, so I stocked up. But otherwise Lidl's XXL shower gel is fine too.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can understand this VfM4 :) but growing up in post-war Britain and seeming to spend half of my childhood queuing for almost anything and everything I developed an intense dislike of shopping in all of its forms .

I am dreadful to go shopping with as I just want to buy what I need then go home , or at least away from shops and precincts :)

My eldest DD could and often does shop for England I think she could make it an Olympic sport at times .
    Her and her OH when they go on holiday, shop, when they go away for the weekend, shop, and at least several times a week will happily walk around shops either in Hempstead Valley (their local precinct ) or drive to Bluewater and shop. But each to their own. I can leave my house and if I turn right there is the library and park five minutes away for a nice stroll but to turn left it's a small shopping precinct about three minutes away. Needless to say I rarely go over to there :)

I suppose it would be different if I had a big family to feed but as there is only me and I will eat whatever is in the fridge or cupboard I am quite easy to feed.I am out at least 2-3 times a week in the evening so I at most only have to cook 4-5 dinners and although I do enjoy cooking I am also fairly laid back with my eating habits

I will sometimes have a morning cooking and freezing 'fake-aways' for when I CBA to stand over a hot stove .

I can also make something to eat out of a few ingredients chucked together. Monday night's dinner was a stuffed pepper and salad and I stuffed the pepper with some clapped out mushrooms,grated cheese a dollop of chilli sauce and topped it off with some dried stuffing mix ,chucked it into my Remoska and cooked it .Very nice it was as well :)

Tonight I shall have some defrosted herb-coated cod with some defrosted mashed potatoes and green beans, all taken from my freezer, with diced fruit and plain yogurt for pud :) I am out to dinner tomorrow night and Sunday night so not a lot of cooking for me this weekend I have some defrosted HM soup for lunch tomorrow with cheese and crackers, and Sunday brunch will be at my youngest DGS wedding venue which her other Granny, her Mum and I are going to look at on Sunday morning.

It is easy for me as I will eat what evers around and am just as happy to have an omelette for a quick meal

JackieO xx
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love the sound of that stuffed pepper JACKIEO .I'm another one who hates shopping :o
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Candygirl its delicious, I first did it with a green pepper as it always seemed to be the one left over in the packet and it really is rather yummy and so easy to do
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    On Aldi tuna, I bought a can of tuna flakes (possibly around 50p-75p) in brine & it wasn't pleasant. I'll try the tuna chunks next time, but if they're the same I'll be going back to princes/john west. It's not something I eat often (stored in a cupboard for if I ever don't have any cheese or meats for work lunch sandwiches) so it's not a something I buy often.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    On Aldi tuna, I bought a can of tuna flakes (possibly around 50p-75p) in brine & it wasn't pleasant. I'll try the tuna chunks next time, but if they're the same I'll be going back to princes/john west. It's not something I eat often (stored in a cupboard for if I ever don't have any cheese or meats for work lunch sandwiches) so it's not a something I buy often.
    I think it was the tuna chunks in oil that I bought. I don't buy tuna flakes.
    Or maybe I made a mistake and picked up the wrong tin.
    But it was 75p so probably chunks.
    Will be interested to see what you think. :)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Candygirl its delicious, I first did it with a green pepper as it always seemed to be the one left over in the packet and it really is rather yummy and so easy to do

I'm going to try it tonight hun .Am in a spicy mood :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've read this thread as I have been thinking recently about trying Aldi/Lidl for shopping as I have noticed quite an increase in my grocery bills lately. I normally shop at Morrisons, which is just a 5 minute drive for me, however just lately I have noticed that, apart from price increases, there is also a distinct shortage of stock on the shelves. As I now have an regular activity which takes me near both Aldi and Lidl, I thought I would try them. Previously it was the distance which stopped me from going there, plus I'm not very keen on shopping so I like the fact that I can whizz round my local Morries (until they change it) and get what I want, and the thought of having to "find" things in a new place puts me off (I know, I know - first world problems etc.). Anyway, what I am asking is if it is significantly cheaper to shop at A or L rather than Morrisons? Most posts seem to compare Tesco/Sainsburys/Waitrose but not Morries. I am a fairly plain eater (breakfast=porridge/crumpets; lunch=sandwich (cheese/ham/egg); dinner=lasagne/risotto/chilli/omelette/meat and veg - all homemade) and live alone. I think I would have to buy cat food elsewhere as I have an old, fussy cat, but that's about all I am "faithful" to brandwise. Any thoughts? I am going to pay a visit this week to one of them, then try the other the next to compare.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Charlotte new potatoes are great for wedges. I used to buy them from Tesco but they're even cheaper in Aldi.

Missing from the shelves in Aldi:
    Magnum lime washing up liquid. Don't know if it was just a stock issue when I went at the beginning of this week or if they've dropped it from their stock altogether.[/QUOTE]

Back in my Aldi this week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport