Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have to pay extra for sitting with my friends on a flight?

Options

Comments

• Bitcoinguy
    Options
    You should refund your friend as they paid for you.
    But the main question should be, how much will these rip-off airlines charge customers just to sit on a specific seat until flying with them becomes economically non-sensical? Surely, it requires zero administrative/personnel input by the company to allocate a passenger a seat as this can be done online, just like you choose your seat when buying a cinema/theatre ticket.

Soon, they will start charging customers for the number of times they visit the airplane toilet and there would be specific costs depending on what number you're doing in the toilet!:rotfl:
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The question ought to be - 'why on earth can airlines get away with charging for sitting with the rest of a group'. If groups are separated it results in many people wandering up & down the aisle to chat with their friends.

because people are stupid enough to pay it.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • mallymal
    mallymal Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should be grateful your friend was happy to take on the thankless role of booking on behalf of everyone.... pay up! Whilst more than you expected, I’m sure it’s a tiny % of your total holiday cost!!
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    And the moral dilemma is? Very misleading headline
  • Ageing_hippy
    Options
    Yes. You didn’t clarify cost first. I never pay to sit together and have always been sat with my husband. Most airlines apart from Ryanair will sit people together. Check in online as early as you can.
  • Lollipop57
    Options
    Here’s how I truly feel about it. There is already a substantial charge for flying. I get that. I really do. However. The extras these companies keep finding to take liberties with is getting ridiculous and is offensive. My take? If it’s short haul take your seat and just relax. If it’s long haul then decide before you fly and only if it’s worth it. Otherwise. Get on dog tired and go to sleep. We need to stop giving our hard earned cash to people who already have millions and do not respect us enough to just give you a seat based on when you booked
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just pay up, it's done and dusted, over and done with.
    No point whining now.
    Suck it up, put it down to experience.
  • Beyond_Reason
    Options
    Another pointless "money moral dilemma", I do wonder what MSE get out of this sort of thread.

Agreed. I think the MSE team just make some of these up 'dilemmas' up. Usually you'd pay £3-7 to choose your seat - £25 seems ridiculously high. Just imagine if it was a really large group. Surely the flight booker would check back with the group first, or risk being hundreds out of pocket.
  • BigBallsMaguire
    Options
    Sorry, but if you are too daft to ask the cost before giving the go ahead, you need to cough up and put it down to lesson learnt.
  • Spmmik53
    Options
    Most airlines will try and seat you together if you make the booking as a group. We fly frequently - both with family and with friends. Our biggest booking was for 7 passengers - with kids. We were all seated together at no additional cost.
    Clearly, if you want absolute certainty that you are sitting together then you will need to accept the additional cost for this. Why airlines have hiked-up the cost of seat reservations though is something of a mystery. £7 (or £15 for extra leg room) each way was more reasonable.
    Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport