MSE News: No water fountains in more than HALF of UK airports

Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    This doesn't apply to any pubs or restaurants that are in the departure area of any UK airport.
    Airside establishments are not covered by the relevant legislation that states free tap water must be provided (Licensing act 2003) which is why they can't be prosecuted for serving underage customers.
    Cool! I'll get my 10 year old to buy a round next time ;)
    They may well provide water but they are under no legal obligation to do so.
    They do. As do coffee bars that don't even have any obligation to whether airside or landside. IME.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Cool! I'll get my 10 year old to buy a round next time ;)
    Maybe not 10 year olds, but it does happen:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8061829/Departure-lounge-pubs-able-to-sell-alcohol-to-under-age-teenagers.html
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    mikael wrote: »
    I can afford to buy water, but I think it is a wasteful and bad for the environment

That coming from someone about to board a plane and thinks nothing of it!
  • The-Truth
    Options
    BodMor wrote: »
    Signposted free cold water facilities in the main retail area and near each group of gates should be a mandatory licensing condition for all UK airport operators.

The problem is particularly acute on cattle class long haul flights where it may be a couple of hours into a flight in a packed and sweltering cabin before water is offered, and even longer since clearing pre-flight security.

There is a clear conflict of interest between providing such free water and the percentage of tenant retail takings that the operator enjoys from its resident retailers. Unregulated most have plumbed the "rest rooms" with hot water only to boost the takings.

Regulate them now.

Lovely.

Higher flight costs for us all then!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 8 August 2017 at 8:53AM
    Options
    I would prefer the option of buying a bottle of water at the airport rather than having to pay higher flight costs because airports have been 'regulated' to provide free water for passengers and are recouping those costs (and more).

If anyone bothers to read the article in the original post, most airports who don't provide drinking water say to ask in restaurants/bars.
  • The-Truth
    Options
    Every Airport I've been to has a cold tap in the disabled toilets if you're really that desperate.

But you don't get it though do you. Every Airline is charged by the Airport to be there. If you regulate the Airports for this then they will simply pass on the costs which the Airlines will then have to pick up.

Yes it will mean higher flight costs for everyone!

Can you not do like everyone else does eg find a free or cheap way of buying your water or have we all got to put up with higher flight costs because of people like you who want everything regulated?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm with The-Truth about the cost of all this regulation being passed onto us as passengers.
    I'm happy buying my 2 bottles of water from Boots at 2 for £2.

Each to their own and all that.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Me too.

I wouldn't want to fill a bottle with water from a drinking fountain that 1000's of unknown people could have had their mouths over. What a germ fest that would be. Maybe that's why they don't have them.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • thamestrader
    Options
    Bod Mor seems to be the sensible contributor. The rest of you are clearly middle class rich with time on your hands. Drinking water provision is a basic essential. This is an excellent campaign. I am so glad money saving expert supports this kind of action. (Mixer taps in wash rooms is the new way operators seek to maximise water sales.) It is a scandal.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bod Mor seems to be the sensible contributor. The rest of you are clearly middle class rich with time on your hands. Drinking water provision is a basic essential. This is an excellent campaign. I am so glad money saving expert supports this kind of action. (Mixer taps in wash rooms is the new way operators seek to maximise water sales.) It is a scandal.

Yes, because you can't expect people to think for themselves or take responsibility for themselves in a nanny state can you.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure