Is it safe to buy? Single item claims discussion

Options
articlealert.gif
This discussion relates to the Is It Safe To Buy article

In particular whether you have made a claim where single items cost less than £100.

Click reply to discuss.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Phill_66
    Options
    Can anyone help?
    I bought 3 flights in one purchase from Sterling Airline via thier website. I have been told by Virgin Credit Card that I cannot get a refund becuase I bought the flights through Sterling's website. Is this true? The total value of flights and taxes/ surcharges was £348.
  • StanBowles
    Options
    I have booked 10 return flights with Sterling all in one transaction totalling just over £700 - Barclaycard are sending some forms to fill in but they seem to be indicating that they will expect to recover the costs from Sterling?

Stan
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Virgin are wrong, you will nearly always buy from somewhere that is not Virgin, a shop, online, a catalogue etc, as you will do with any C C

It is not the total, but the individual items, i.e. each ticket would need to cost over £100.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• EdnaCloud
    EdnaCloud Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    Virgin are wrong, you will nearly always buy from somewhere that is not Virgin, a shop, online, a catalogue etc, as you will do with any C C

It is not the total, but the individual items, i.e. each ticket would need to cost over £100.

I think this response is a little confusing, I hope you don't mind me saying this.

Wherever one uses a CC is irrelevant to one's rights (unless one has been reckless and shown no due diligence in ensurings one's CC security), and what I think Derrick is saying is that no transactions on a Virgin CC will be directly with Virgin (with some exceptions that may include Virgin stores for example) and therefore Virgin's response is inappropriate to say the least.

With regard to the purchase price/total cost issue I do recommend looking at:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

and if you excuse the repetition I quote a small bit here:
    This can get more complicated though. If the company links the transaction together, for example by giving a special offer if two flights are purchased together, then you should be covered. This hasn’t been tested yet
    This information is based on conversations with eminent legal brains and Trading Standards yet this part of the law doesn't have any case law behind it.
    Therefore, if in doubt it's always worth contacting your credit card company to make a claim and if you consider it to be a ‘single item’ do ensure that’s how you phrase it to the card company. Please report your experiences in the single item claims thread to help others in a similar boat.
    I consider the purchase of a number of tickets to be one purchase, and although I am no expert it seems a little loophole hase been sneaked in by the CC cos when drafting section 75 which would be much fairer if 'single item' was more clearly defined as 'single puchase'

More grist to the mill
    Best of luck
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EdnaCloud wrote: »
    I consider the purchase of a number of tickets to be one purchase, and although I am no expert it seems a little loophole hase been sneaked in by the CC cos when drafting section 75 which would be much fairer if 'single item' was more clearly defined as 'single puchase'

More grist to the mill
    Best of luck

The C.C. Co's did not draft Section 75,( part of the Consumer Credit ACT), this is legislation on the statute books put into law by Parliament.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• spurspants
    Options
    I've just been looking at some Easyjet flights. Total comes to nearly £400 for me, my wife and (annoyingly JUST turned 2) daughter. However that's 6 individual flights, none of which is over £100. Would Section 75 cover it?
  • MLFAN
    MLFAN Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have just put down £500 cash on 4 items of secondhand furniture from a local shop. A balance of £500 is still to pay on delivery i.e. a total of £1,000. I am not able to take delivery of the items for another 4-5 weeks and the shop have offered to store the 4 items for me provided that I pay the balance due.

Understandably, I am a little nervous about this given the current economic climate and the risk that a small business such as this could "go under" and take my furniture with them. Reading Martin's guide on Section 75 Protection, I seems to me that I could pay part of the balance due on my credit card and in doing so obtain protection for the entire amount.

My question is: will one credit card transaction be sufficient to protect me for all 4 items (each in excess of £100) or would it be necessary to make 4 separate credit card transactions - one for each item of furniture?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  • lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi i recently put a claim in for section 75 from llyods and they have sent this respnse. the claim was to dell who have not been prepared to fix my wifes laptop saying it was a software issue and not theirs. can they do this and say they dont have to pay becuase dell have not responsed? what can i reply to this letter saying? is small claims an option?

I feel it is important to advise you that, despite numerous attempts, we have been unsuccessful in resolving your dispute, as Dell has not responded to any of our communications. Having reviewed your case, I cannot find any documentary evidence of breach of contract or misrepresentation and regrettably, I must advise your that Lloyds is not in a position to settle your claim on this occasion.
    I am sorry that I cannot offer you a more favourable response and can only suggest that should you wish to pursue the matter, you seek independent legal advice on the way forward.
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anyone?.....
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • oweri02
    Options
    Hello MSE, I had an awful holiday with Thomas Cook - they basically dismissed ALL my claims, the worst of which was the flight went from LGW-MAN-Jamaica, and Jamaica -MAN-LGW on the return - however at MANcheser, they removed the Manchester passengers, refuelled and after an hour wait, told us they were terminating our flight. They assured us we would get another plane to LGW, but they needed THIS one to take a load of people to some-other-holiday, as their plane had been grounded - twice and 24+ hours delay.

We all got off, not happy, but got off. When we finally made it to "airside" in MAN, Thomas Cook desk tell us "no plane, we're putting you on busses", so a 5.5 hour drive from MAN to LGW.

TC say "tough, we got you back to where you started from"

I engage Tesco Credit Card under section 75 and they state;

Where, as in your case, the retailer denies liability or disputes the amount claimed [oweri02 says, I didn't ask a specific amount, I just want them to offer something], I regret to infom you that we are unable to sit in judgement on the facts of this case and would suggest that court action may be required to decide whether you have a valid claim, and if so, what award is appropriate.

They go on to say how to lodge a formal complaint in the courts etc.

But this is now my confusion. If ANY retailer accepts liability, then what is the need of section 75 (In the majortiy of cases, I understand companies may go bust etc...) but in this sort of thing, the whole point of me engaging section 75 is because Thomas Cook are not playing ball.

Any thoughts on how to umm nudge Tesco into reconsidering, or do I go the legal route?

thanks

Oweri02
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family