Tire pressure (motorbike) safe?

Options

Comments

• stuartJo1989
    Options
    Seriously? You're a motorcyclist but want to willingly ADD risk to the activity of riding by doing so with a rotten tyre?

Mental.

Buy a new tyre and lose the death wish.

And yes, I ride bikes too. No, I would not ride on a flat tyre.

You didn't read my post (which had lots of detail explaining why I am actually contemplating it) but thank you all the same for your input. :)
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    The cracking could be indication you have a very old tyre?
    It is dangerous to ride with underinflated tyre. I would suggest you buy a pump or a puncture repair kit with inflation cylinders to get you home.

Cheers. It is fairly old but it happened quite suddenly!

I'll try and purchase/lend a pump and see how that fares. My only worry is I have little money and little time to get it fixed
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    The tyres shouldn't have cracks. If they do they need replacing. They should be inflated to the correct pressure for the machine, and checked with a pressure gauge.
    As per the handbook.
    Which you do have?

I do have :) It is 10 miles from home (I'm living with partner now, but need to get it back to family home 10 miles away), but admittedly I probably could get that document. I'm just mindful that its more faffing and I've got 2 weeks to fix it and sort it out.

There's a garage about 0.5 miles away which have a pump. I've never had a flat tyre so don't know whether it is dangerous and, before doing something potentially dangerous, have asked for advice!
    And have read?

Nope I haven't read it, because I'd normally just take it to the garage/rely on the MOT for problems.

I do, however, carry out routine checks every time which I learned on my CBT test (been called sad in the past for doing that!) and one of them includes checking the tyres before every ride.... Hence how I came to notice the problem in the first place. Initially thought it was vandalism because of the slashing, but it looked more cracked.
    It's not a bicycle where you can "feel" the tyre for pressure. FWIW I check my bicycle tyres with a pressure gauge and bin 'em if they show signs of cracking.

I probably should do that, but I am happy with the level of checking I carry out. It is much more than most people, and I drive safely, so I don't mind :) But even so, the tyres were fine when I set out and they weren't the day after when I went to leave.
    If you're not prepared to learn how to keep the machine in good condition, do the routine checks / maintenance, and / or pay for parts and spares that are needed, then you shouldn't be riding. For your own sake and that of everyone else.

I want to be able to word this in a really polite way, but basically I don't care :) I drive safe, I look after the motorbike, I pay my tax/insurance, I have a full UK driving licence, I have current CBT tests, I follow the highway code, I regularly check the basics before a ride. That's enough for me! If it isn't enough for you then file a complaint with the universe ;)
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I want to be able to word this in a really polite way, but basically I don't care :) I drive safe, I look after the motorbike, I pay my tax/insurance, I have a full UK driving licence, I have current CBT tests, I follow the highway code, I regularly check the basics before a ride. That's enough for me! If it isn't enough for you then file a complaint with the universe ;)

Tell us where/when you're riding it and we'll stay out of the way then (or call a pre-emptive ambulance)

You've had your advice but despite knowing nothing think you know better

Your attitude is what gives bikers a bad name :eek:
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    Over on the classic car forum a chap had a 20 year old car with virtually new tyres as he didn't use it much and unfortunately lost it on a corner and crashed.

Anyway he found out that even though the tyres had loads of tread, the oils and binding chemicals dry out and the tyre looses it's flexibilty and in effect is pretty awful.

They say 5 to 7 years max on tyres. Just thought i'd add this in.

Oh right! My tyres are just over 4 years old so it could indeed be that. Certainly a case of getting them replaced at the next possible opportunity. That's what I want to do, but I have to renew tax/insurance/MOT by Oct 1st and just not sure if it can be done in that time...

Thanks for the useful info though!
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    Tell us where/when you're riding it and we'll stay out of the way then (or call a pre-emptive ambulance)

You've had your advice but despite knowing nothing think you know better

Your attitude is what gives bikers a bad name :eek:

You said that after quoting the bit when I said that I was a safe driver etc?

Weird :p

If I was someone who "gave bikers a bad name" I would simply have done it without posting on here... I posted because I wanted to learn :) Not get abuse off others.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    alanrowell wrote: »
    Tire??????

tire
    tʌɪə
    noun
    US spelling of tyre.

tyre
    ˈtʌɪə
    noun
    a rubber covering, typically inflated or surrounding an inflated inner tube, placed round a wheel to form a soft contact with the road.
    a strengthening band of metal fitted around the rim of a wheel, especially of a railway vehicle.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    fas3robinj wrote: »
    I'm also a biker.

Plenty of mobile tyre installers around.

Get one to come out to you and put a new tyre on. It takes 30 mins.

To ride the bike in that state is mental.

Much appreciated! This is something I never thought of and I'm going to have a look around tonight! Thank you
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    You said that after quoting the bit when I said that I was a safe driver etc?

Weird :p

You may be the safest driver there is, but you are contemplating riding your bike with defective tyres.

You may be OK, you may not, who knows.

You're only going to do 30ish so that's OK, unless you end up having a blow out and ending up under a HGV or something.

I've only came of my bike once, at a slow speed 25-30mph, wearing full textile gear and it bloody well hurt, bruised ribs and knee which took about 2 weeks to feel better, big graze to my arm and my gloves were wrecked and visor of helmet scratched to f*** so new helmet needed.

Good luck.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    You didn't read my post (which had lots of detail explaining why I am actually contemplating it) but thank you all the same for your input. :)

Well I read your post and saw no details that would justify your contemplating riding an unroadworthy motorcycle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure