BAD Plusnet Unlimited Broadband Deal

Options
2»

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a free ADSL offer, but like others still got the £1 rise email.

When with Sky the promise is usually a fixed percentage discount, so rises are worked out pro rata, but free items remain free (maintaining the 100% discount).

Though call centre staff have told callers that they will have to pay the £1, I queried this, by email, as the offer was for a 'free' service and it's not free if it costs £1. (No charges were promised fixed, except for pre-paid rental, but 'free' is subtly different.)

I have not had a reply and can't check the likely next bill until it is declared, as PlusNet don't apply discounts until the actual bill is ready.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I'm slightly puzzled here. I negotiated a 2 year deal a year or so back and have had no notification of any increase yet I've seen more than one thread about an increase. Are all customers supposed to be getting this increase?

Me neither, but they've still got about 10 days to notify everyone to give the required 30 days notice of the rise.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two years ago when I moved to Plusnet I did so because it was over half the price of BT and at the same time I cancelled the TV license because the only thing I do with the TV is listening to the local radio station during the football season.
    In my search when BT put up their prices I came across a piece that said if they raise the price by more than the rate of inflation you can move without penalty, I believe that is now law and you just give them notice of your intention to move within 30 days but you pay any increase during that time but it is a way out of a contract, without having to pay for the rest of the contract. You would research other providers and choose what you thought was the best option then start the move.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PN are not breaking the contract, because it's not a fixed price contract.
    The price you are offered for the first 12m is a discount of £x off the 'normal' price of £y. If y goes up, so does your discounted price.
    The only provider offering a fixed price during minimum term is TT, so that is your remedy if you believe you have been 'extorted'.
    IIRC, the PN £1 increase is offset by the abolition of the 99p charge for Caller Display.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    PN are not breaking the contract, because it's not a fixed price contract.
    The price you are offered for the first 12m is a discount of £x off the 'normal' price of £y. If y goes up, so does your discounted price.
    The only provider offering a fixed price during minimum term is TT, so that is your remedy if you believe you have been 'extorted'.
    IIRC, the PN £1 increase is offset by the abolition of the 99p charge for Caller Display.

Instead of quoting a special price , perhaps providers should be obliged to explain the nature of their discount.

I don't know about others, but Sky offer a fixed % reduction on the full price, so the full increase should be reduced by that same % , whereas PlusNet appear to fix a sum of money off, so customers are charged the full increase.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Me neither, but they've still got about 10 days to notify everyone to give the required 30 days notice of the rise.
    It turned up like a bad penny on 26th. I have no intention of leaving though as their offer of a fixed IP is pretty much unique amongst budget ISPs and I run a home server on the 20Mbps upstream which performs a lot faster than the shared hosting I had before. Come renewal of course I will call to renegotiate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure