When MSErs get married ...

Options
... they do so very frugally!

Yes, Marleyboy and I will finally be tying the knot in 2018, only eight years after moving in together, we wanted to be certain :D

So how frugally can we do this?

It'll be a weekday. In a registry office. With four guests. And lunch afterwards. The dearest things will probably be the outfits, Marley says I can't get married in a Primark t-shirt.

This thread is for me to keep a diary of how things are going :A
:heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations!!! xxx

Have you thought about when/where yet?
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you made any decisions yet?

Congratulations....

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congratulations.
    Although if you want to be truly MSE the lunch would probably have to involve yellow stickers. :D
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i looked at the clearence section on matalan on line and got my husbands wedding suit for £7.50 , we had a buffett at my house which we made food for - we walked into town and didnt tell anyone we bought stuff form it was for a wedding ... two pinholes cost me £1 :) lol

We spent the more on our honeymoon than on the wedding and the honeymoon came in under £300

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yellow stickers or a two-for-one offer, I suppose :D Nope, lunch will be full-price but I'm not going to tell the restaurant what the occasion is!!

"Where" has been decided, it's simply our nearest register office that isn't city centre. "When" has almost been decided, I just need to confirm the booking.

Marley will be wearing a suit from a couple of years ago; possibly with new trousers to accommodate mid-life spread. I'm looking online for a party frock.

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I could send you my bus tickets which have McDonalds £1.99 vouchers on the back - if you send me an SAE first.

I'm not sure what you mean by "full-price" lunch - don't you have any discounts or offers you can use or even Clubcard vouchers?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "full-price" lunch - don't you have any discounts or offers you can use or even Clubcard vouchers?

Oh we could go to a Harvester or Frankie & Bennys, but we've found a nice local independent pub/restaurant that we think will be more "acceptable" to parents.

Does it count as a wedding expense if the guests pay for the meal instead of us? They are bound to offer :rotfl:

• blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure you will look fab and have an amazing day!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Does it count as a wedding expense if the guests pay for the meal instead of us? They are bound to offer :rotfl:

If you want to win The MSE Apprentice you'll negotiate a commission from the restaurant of at least 10% of everything your party spend :money:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you want to win The MSE Apprentice you'll negotiate a commission from the restaurant of at least 10% of everything your party spend :money:

easy done.. take a student ;) ..

We go places owned by the same chain as OH works for.. 1/3rd off everything.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts