Comments

• Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    markin wrote: »
    Is it up to 65C yet?
    Hi and thanks for the reminder.

Yes, it's been heating the DHW since with the element thermostat set on max, 75C, although the temp shown on the gauge sited higher up the tank peaks around 80C.
    I'll probably knock the stat back a notch for the winter months but with excess solar at this time of year I'm not in a hurry.

Still have to sort a controller to make best use of Solar. All in good time!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, I understand about prv, lucky you having more than 3 bar available. :-D

But why a water treatment plant and inhibitor?
    I was under the impression you are in Bonnie Scotland, so should have no issues with hard water or limescale?

If I've picked that up wrong, apologies.

I'm currently waiting on a refund for my faulty hybrid system, so have just 6kwh of batteries just now, and when I look at how much I'm exporting daily it really makes me pine for a hot water system lol
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Hi, I understand about prv, lucky you having more than 3 bar available. :-D
    But why a water treatment plant and inhibitor?
    I was under the impression you are in Bonnie Scotland, so should have no issues with hard water or limescale?
    Oh for soft water like in Scotland, here in bonny Suffolk it's anything but. Neverless I'm consoled by the climate here which tends to help offset the disparity.
    Afraid I baulked at installing a salt based water treatment system due to space constraints and cost. Both initial and running, where I understand the latter can amount to circa £100/annum. I settled for an Eddy unit which, while not actually removing limescale, does reduce it's effects being more compact and less costly too.

As for a battery, well, I've one sitting on the drive and just require a cost effective interface to go between it and our home.:)
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    Ahh ok, dont know why I thought you were in Scotland, the additions make perfect sense for Suffolk.

I'm 100% with you on the EV v2h, I just cant understand why there isn't a cheap solution from either EV manufacturers (surely makes EV's more attractive) or big power suppliers for grid balancing etc.

Or even people like the inventors of Zappi etc.
    West central Scotland
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Hi and thanks for the reminder.
    Yes, it's been heating the DHW since with the element thermostat set on max, 75C, although the temp shown on the gauge sited higher up the tank peaks around 80C.
    I'll probably knock the stat back a notch for the winter months but with excess solar at this time of year I'm not in a hurry.
    It's been in operation a month now during which time our gas consumption has dropped to about half of the previous lowest summertime figure recorded of 89 kWh's.
    Of the 45 kWh's consumed the majority was probably due to the gas hob, but a smaller proportion perhaps due to DHW drawn off by use of the sink in the en suite, plus some from leaving the pre heat option on the combi boiler operational!
    With that now de-activated we'll see what difference might occur when taking next months figures.
    At the commencement of this thread I'd thought no further than what car to purchase next. What a journey it's been and continues to this day as we've now set our sights on relying entirely on renewable energy for all our heating, transportation and domestic needs.
    If we make it through the coming winter without resorting to the gas combi boiler then we've only to replace the gas hob to complete another step along the way.:)
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    Thanks for the update.
    I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the thermal store.
    On a whim I phoned my combi manufacturer and it turns out that I can feed it with 50c water, so could definitely use the store to heat the water in summer, and take some of the chill of in winter.

I'd convinced myself I didnt want to run that way, as it involves opening a wall to run pipes, and wife wont be too happy, but I think I'm just going to have to do it, and ask forgiveness later.
    West central Scotland
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... I phoned my combi manufacturer and it turns out that I can feed it with 50c water, ....
    I did not think that any combi boiler could cope with more than 30 C water on the input side. What model do you have?
    Reed
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Thanks for the update.
    I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the thermal store.
    On a whim I phoned my combi manufacturer and it turns out that I can feed it with 50c water, so could definitely use the store to heat the water in summer, and take some of the chill of in winter.

I'd convinced myself I didnt want to run that way, as it involves opening a wall to run pipes, and wife wont be too happy, but I think I'm just going to have to do it, and ask forgiveness later.
    For sure, a version of the Thermal store is available for indirect heating from gas or oil too if you wish to procede in that direction. However, for me it was an additional complication with added capital outlay.

I took the view that, as we need to do away with gas eventually, then to go straight for the immersion only version for simplicity and cost. Understanding that in winter months we may be paying extra for DHW due to absence of sunshine at times. Guess I'll find out how much extra during the coming winter.:eek:
  • Solarchaser
    Options
    Mine is a potterton promax.

Coastalwatch, I was toying with solar thermal panels on the roof too, still have room.
    Might get rhi too.... but I need to research it and see if its viable
    West central Scotland
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine is a potterton promax.

Coastalwatch, I was toying with solar thermal panels on the roof too, still have room.
    Might get rhi too.... but I need to research it and see if its viable
    Hi

Have a look at this article ...Solar-PV-Thermal-One-or-both- ... it might help develop your thoughts ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport