Women SPA this week

Options

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Those with grounds to complain are those affected by the ill advised 2011 changes - the government should have left well enough alone.

https://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/webb-we-made-a-bad-decision-on-state-pension-age-rises/a866283

And how cowardly of Steve Webb to blame others!
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
  • dibblersan
    dibblersan Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    I, too, wanted to stay on at school beyond the minimum leaving age of 15 - but my parents didn't believe in 'swanning around in school' when I could be out earning, and bringing money into the house. However, that didn't stop me from going to night school the following year.

I was expected to do what most girls did back then - work for a couple of years, get married, move into a house in the same street as my parents, leave work to have children, etc. I don't consider myself to be anything special - but I knew that life wasn't for me, hence night school and joining the WRAF. Even back then, I did eventually have a choice.

and was no different for us working lads who started working at 14 because bookwork was for girls and rich lads who wanted to keep their hands clean
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 June 2019 at 7:02PM
    Options
    dibblersan wrote: »
    and was no different for us working lads who started working at 14 because bookwork was for girls and rich lads who wanted to keep their hands clean

During my last year in school (1970/71) we girls did typing and the boys did either metalwork or woodwork.

One of the boys in my class asked if he could do typing, as he wanted to be a newspaper reporter, like his father. Our (male) teacher laughed in his face and asked him if he was 'a great !!!!!!' as only girls typed.

I believe he learned typing at night school.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    This is pure greed by a certain group of loud mouths.

In Money Marketing (IFA trade rag) a few days ago the Director of Public Policy at LEBC Group is demanding her £30,000 cheque for being born in the 1950s, along with some of the standard WASPI tropes about patriarchal oppression and the imaginary National Insurance Fund.

LEBC Group is a nationwide firm of financial advisers. Despite the obvious responsibility of financial advisers to stay up to date with changing pension and tax legislation, one of their most senior directors claims that she should get a £30,000 cheque because the Government failed to communicate the 1995 Pensions Act (which it didn't).

LEBC Group's 2018 accounts shows that the 11 directors earned a total of £1.5 million between them in directors' emoluments, an average of just shy of £140,000 a year.

She dismisses an earlier opinion piece that the nation cannot afford to send 1950s-born women a £30,000 cheque on the grounds that it came from a "millennial man".

Could not make it up.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    I 'believe' (though not 100% certain) that I was unaffected by the 1995 act as I recall discussing this with a colleague who is six months younger than me.

If you are female ( and I think you confirmed that earlier ) and affected by the 2011 Act then yes you were affected by the 1995 Act.

The 1995 Act increased your SPA to just under 64 and then the 2011 Act increased it by another 18 months.

The 1995 Act was fair and gradual with plenty of notice. The 2011 Act was the unfair one for those born late 53 and most of 54 as the notice was too short. Not all were disadvantaged by it though.

It should have been the Act to campaign against but all too late now due to the greed of the campaigns. There is nothing special about 50s' born women.

http://www.web40571.clarahost.co.uk/statepensionage/SPA_changes.pdf
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    It should have been the Act to campaign against but all too late now due to the greed of the campaigns. There is nothing special about 50s' born women.

Do you think the greed of the campaigns will stop the much smaller number of genuinely disadvantaged from getting the result they deserve?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Do you think the greed of the campaigns will stop the much smaller number of genuinely disadvantaged from getting the result they deserve?

Unfortunately I do. The Government has dug its heels in now and I don't see them moving.

Men, who have lost access to Pension Credit from age 60, are never mentioned. It's all about 50s' born women, many of whom are anything but struggling. You just need to look at their FB profiles to see them just back from cruises and visits to Disneyworld Florida. Many of them are on Public Sector index-linked DB pensions.

Basically they want the lot for women born up to 31/12/59 and everyone else can be thrown under a bus to pay for it.

As a 50s' born woman, I'm totally ashamed of them. If, in the very unlikely event, they win and my cheque is in the post I will immediately be handing it to my sons and their families who will end up paying for it.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »

I do. It is appalling the greed of some.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »

As a 50s' born woman, I'm totally ashamed of them. If, in the very unlikely event, they win and my cheque is in the post I will immediately be handing it to my sons and their families who will end up paying for it.

My wife who was born in 1953 agrees with you wholeheartedly - if by any chance these campaigns bear fruit, the money will go straight to the grandchildren as they will end up with the bill!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure