Keeping a dog in shared ownership propertyb

Options
Hello, I currently am looking for a shared ownership property as cheaper than rent and I can’t afford to buy 100% of a property. I have had my lovely little chihuahua for four years and I’ve read some worrying posts to say you cannot have them in flats. I wouldn’t want to give him up as he is very attached to me as to I to him.

I am viewing a property on 5th floor tomorrow, what are everyone’s thoughts? I do own 25%, and a garden means nothing if you regulary walk your pet. If I don’t mention it what will happen if I get found out? I can’t just give up my dog.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Generally dogs aren’t allowed in flats. What happens if you’re ill and can’t take the dog for a walk?
    You do really need somewhere were you can let your dog out.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the scheme rules say no then you cannot.

Any of your neighbours can complain
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Gellad wrote: »
    Hello, I currently am looking for a shared ownership property as cheaper than rent and I can’t afford to buy 100% of a property. I have had my lovely little chihuahua for four years and I’ve read some worrying posts to say you cannot have them in flats. I wouldn’t want to give him up as he is very attached to me as to I to him.

I am viewing a property on 5th floor tomorrow, what are everyone’s thoughts? I do own 25%, and a garden means nothing if you regulary walk your pet. If I don’t mention it what will happen if I get found out? I can’t just give up my dog.
    Be honest.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Generally dogs aren’t allowed in flats. What happens if you’re ill and can’t take the dog for a walk?
    You do really need somewhere were you can let your dog out.

On a purely practical level, it is possible to manage a dog in a flat without a garden. Done it myself. If you're ill you force yourself out, or ask a friend to help.
    From a lease perspective, it depends on the terms of the property that you are buying. But even with a small dog, at some point someone will notice and may object/report to the freeholder. Then you will have to deal with any repercussions.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Often new build blocks have no pets written into the s106 I have managed blocks of flats before where we had mixed tenure 3 blocks 3 types 1 each per block.

Nightmare to enforce but the neighbours will most certainly complain. Especially if they have up pest to move there.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apologies that's should read * gave up pets to move there*
  • cado1
    cado1 Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was about to post the same question I will be looking to buy either through shared ownership or help to buy in a year or so. There is no way I would give up my dog, aren't there any places that allow pets ? It's highly discriminate against people with pets when there are plenty of circumstances in which children cause more damage / trouble
    Total Unsecured Debt at October 2018 £29,411
    02/20 £ 6,374:j
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 February 2019 at 8:17AM
    Options
    cado1 wrote: »
    I was about to post the same question I will be looking to buy either through shared ownership or help to buy in a year or so. There is no way I would give up my dog, aren't there any places that allow pets ? It's highly discriminate against people with pets when there are plenty of circumstances in which children cause more damage / trouble

Many leasehold apartments are unsuitable for dogs or unsuitable for a family with children, but are suitable for a young baby, or for small indoor only pets such as a rabbit or cat. There are developments that exclude children by setting a minimum age for residents.

Blanket 'no pets' covenants in long leases are considered unfair terms. However leaseholders may need the written consent of the freeholder or their managing agent to keep a specific pet.

A key issue is any communal areas, including carpeted corridors, stairwells or lifts, gardens or parking bays. Fur and dander may cause problems for neighbours with allergies; others may be concerned about urine and faeces; there may be noise if a dog is left alone regularly.

Obviously every development is different - some have no communal areas at all - so consent should not be unreasonably withheld.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • cc58
    cc58 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can actually answer this pretty confidently as I purchased a 50% share in a house about 4 years ago and then adopted a dog about a year ago. at the same time as the dog adoption we also staircased to 100% on our house. About a month after the dog had moved in we got a letter from our estate manager saying that dogs were forbidden on the estate and as part of the lease we agreed to this so we'd have a month to rehome him.

Thankfully we'd staircased by this point so we owned the 100% of the house but more importantly the freehold so we told him to shove his letter, in the nicest possible way of course and havent had any issues since then. Pretty much every lease thats shared ownership will have no pets mentioned and if not theres always some generic loop hole that they can attach new rules which will mean your pet will get evicted.
    If you have a pet I would suggest renting a property that specifically say they allow pets.

also to this guy
    cado1 wrote: »

using the term "discriminate" and "pets" in the same sentence is ridic. Pets are a choice (as I know are kids but hey same species and all that) what you need to remember is if you're buying shared ownership you still dont actually own anything, you may own 25% of 50% or even 75% but unless its all yours you're technically still renting from the freeholder and you have to abide by their rules which is fair enough as its their house until you buy it off them

TLDR? shared ownership + pets = disaster waiting to happen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback