Keeping a dog in shared ownership propertyb

Options
2»

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If there is a clause, everybody will know about it. Some will dislike you ignoring the rules you signed up to; others will dislike you because they gave up their pet or could never get one. Some will simply dislike you. Any one of these situations could result in somebody phoning up and reporting you and action would then follow.

If you sign up to an agreement that says "no pets", then you break it, you have to take on board the question of what you're going to do if you have to rectify your error. You have to accept that, at some point, somebody will be angered that you flouted "the rules", rules you signed up to.

You can't hide it.

There are other rules .... what'd you do if somebody broke a rule that was important to you when you moved in? You'd report it .... and demand action.
  • cado1
    cado1 Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cc58 wrote: »
    I can actually answer this pretty confidently as I purchased a 50% share in a house about 4 years ago and then adopted a dog about a year ago. at the same time as the dog adoption we also staircased to 100% on our house. About a month after the dog had moved in we got a letter from our estate manager saying that dogs were forbidden on the estate and as part of the lease we agreed to this so we'd have a month to rehome him.

Thankfully we'd staircased by this point so we owned the 100% of the house but more importantly the freehold so we told him to shove his letter, in the nicest possible way of course and havent had any issues since then. Pretty much every lease thats shared ownership will have no pets mentioned and if not theres always some generic loop hole that they can attach new rules which will mean your pet will get evicted.
    If you have a pet I would suggest renting a property that specifically say they allow pets.

also to this guy

using the term "discriminate" and "pets" in the same sentence is ridic. Pets are a choice (as I know are kids but hey same species and all that) what you need to remember is if you're buying shared ownership you still dont actually own anything, you may own 25% of 50% or even 75% but unless its all yours you're technically still renting from the freeholder and you have to abide by their rules which is fair enough as its their house until you buy it off them

TLDR? shared ownership + pets = disaster waiting to happen.

Yes I take your point but I have been renting with my dog for many years ( with the consent of the landlord / freeholder) so if I am technically still renting under the shared ownership scheme I don't understand why the rules are so different. Surely under shared ownership I have already invested some of my own cash so I would have more of a vested interest to look after the property than the landlord that I currently pay rent to ?
    Total Unsecured Debt at October 2018 £29,411
    02/20 £ 6,374:j
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The difference is you are renting from a different landlord/freeholder who decides his own rules. Just as some landlords/freeholders do not allow pets and some do.
  • annetheman
    annetheman Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 3 March 2020 at 9:04PM
    Options
    Thank you for this post and the answers. I decided it's best if I ask ahead of signing any agreement with the freeholder.

So I've sent them an email asking for their permission to house an indoor-only cat with me and offered to show his vaccination and flea treatment (doesn't really need them as indoor-only but better safe than sorry) records from the vet.

I haven't even gotten the "accepted" letter yet, only reserved the property, which is refundable from the EA if I'm refused. 

Soooooo if my cat can't come with me, I'm in a serious dilemma. I'll feel much more relaxed if I get permission in writing than try to sneak him in, though. Will let you know the outcome; fingers crossed!

It was his birthday on Sunday, he's only 1 :( I can't let him go!
    Current debt-free wannabe stats:
    Credit cards: £12,228.11 | Loans: £8,608.11 | Student Loan (Plan 1): £15,121.42 | Total: £35,957.64 
    Debt-free target: 21-Mar-2025
    Debt-free diary
  • aleeek
    aleeek Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you for this post and the answers. I decided it's best if I ask ahead of signing any agreement with the freeholder.

So I've sent them an email asking for their permission to house an indoor-only cat with me and offered to show his vaccination and flea treatment (doesn't really need them as indoor-only but better safe than sorry) records from the vet.

I haven't even gotten the "accepted" letter yet, only reserved the property, which is refundable from the EA if I'm refused. 

Soooooo if my cat can't come with me, I'm in a serious dilemma. I'll feel much more relaxed if I get permission in writing than try to sneak him in, though. Will let you know the outcome; fingers crossed!

It was his birthday on Sunday, he's only 1 :( I can't let him go!
    Did you get permission for your cat yet? 
  • pokora
    pokora Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Usually they only allow pets on ground floor flats with garden, does not include communal areas. 95% of the properties under this scheme don't want pets because they risk the value of the property. Don't lie or you will lose more than you gain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback