Switching Broadband

Options
Hi,

I am a little confused about the new rules of switching broadband.

My current broadband contract expires on 17th June and as far as I understand I am suppose to give 30 days notice to leave BT (my current provider). I want to switch to Vodafone broadband. According to the new rules, I am supposed to apply for Vodafone broadband and they would handle everything.

If I apply for Vodafone broadband on 18th May (1 month and 1 day before my contract expires) and put the switching date as 18th June, all should fall in place. But my worry is that what happens in the case when Vodafone contacts BT (my current provider) on 04 June (just an example date)? in which case BT would charge me for 30 days from 04 June. This means I will be charged by two providers for 15 days?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deepam wrote: »
    This means I will be charged by two providers for 15 days?
    Yes.

The alternative is to arrange the switch so it will definitely happen after the minimum term of the 1st provider and you will likely only pay for the days with the 1st provider before the switch and won't have any dual payments.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May 2018 at 5:32PM
    Options
    deepam wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a little confused about the new rules of switching broadband.

My current broadband contract expires on 17th June and as far as I understand I am suppose to give 30 days notice to leave BT (my current provider). I want to switch to Vodafone broadband. According to the new rules, I am supposed to apply for Vodafone broadband and they would handle everything.

If I apply for Vodafone broadband on 18th May (1 month and 1 day before my contract expires) and put the switching date as 18th June, all should fall in place. But my worry is that what happens in the case when Vodafone contacts BT (my current provider) on 04 June (just an example date)? in which case BT would charge me for 30 days from 04 June. This means I will be charged by two providers for 15 days?

You wouldn't be charged by both providers, it's possible , depending on when bills are produced etc, that you may 'pay' for a month service in advance and if the switch is mid way through that month, all that happens is that you are refunded pro rata for those days paid for after the changeover, that why you shouldn't cancel the direct debit, so they can refund those days.

The things to remember are its gaining provider led, so the company you are moving to, in effect serve notice to the company you are leaving , so you don't call the company you are set to leave, you leave it to the new provider.
    If you are within a minimum term, obviously you want the changeover to take place once the minimum term has expired , you obviously tell the new company a 'not before' date...provided a migration is ordered by the new company, you only pay the old company until the last day of service with them ( with the caveat about billing runs) and start paying the new company from the first day of service with them, these two dates are consecutive , so for example pay old provider upto (last day) Midnight 12th/ first day with new provider starts 0.01 (am) 13th,
  • deepam
    deepam Posts: 116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your replies
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Pl let me know how you got on as will be in same situation in mid August. Have you tried to renegotiate with bt if you are satisfied with their services. My understanding if it is a switch between providers only 14 days are required for the switch to take place. My plan is to give Bt. two weeks notice before my contract ends I will allow it to overlap by a few days. I am interesting to know what you are going to do? Thanks
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would give 30 days notice on your BT contract as required .
    That gives you a probable offer from cancellations team . Wait until near contract end and you may get a better offer .
    Have current alternative ISP prices to hand .

I am a bit confused about the 30 / 14 day .
    One BT say 30 day notice . Alternative posted says 14 days .But that's a switch not notice to end the contract .
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    I am still confused of the 30 days/14 days notice. For example my bt bb expires on the 29th June. I ring bt on the 29th of May and inform them I will not be renewing my contract with them and am giving 30 days notice but will switch to another provider for better deals. 14 days before my contract is due to end. I contacted the new provider which will be plus net land the latter will deal with the switch. I will inform plus net the switch must start on the 30th June. Does that make sense? Thanks
  • biggysmaller
    biggysmaller Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 12 May 2018 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Here's how I did it.....
    During the last 30 days towards the end of my Sky internet contract, I contacted them to tell them I was moving. They advised that my new provider would take around 14 days to go live and as long as that 14 period was within the last 30 days of my Sky contract there would be no other fees to pay.
    I ended up moving on the 6th may, although my contract with Sky did not end until the 26th. Sky calculated my final bill and refunded the amount between the 6th and the 26th.
    You should not have to give 30 notice is you are in your final 30 days of your contract. You just have to move to another provider within that 30 day period. Your new provider should inform your existing provider - job done!
    It was really smooth and very easy.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 May 2018 at 3:21PM
    Options
    loulou41 wrote: »
    I am still confused of the 30 days/14 days notice. For example my bt bb expires on the 29th June. I ring bt on the 29th of May and inform them I will not be renewing my contract with them and am giving 30 days notice but will switch to another provider for better deals. 14 days before my contract is due to end. I contacted the new provider which will be plus net land the latter will deal with the switch. I will inform plus net the switch must start on the 30th June. Does that make sense? Thanks

If you call BT and say you don't intend to 'renew' at the end of the minimum term, 'so here is my 30 day notice' intending to then contact another provider regarding taking over the now in notice period BT line, you may find, that the order the 'new' provider issues is cancelled by BTw/OR because their is already an order on the system, namely your 'BT' cease, created when you notified them of your intention to not 'renew'.... it could delay the new provider who has to issue a new order for a 'new line' rather than a migration , and if it's important to you, it possibly risks losing the landline number along the way .
    Personally, I would only contact the provider you are leaving if you are happy with the service, don't want the hassle of a new email etc, it's just the price, then calling and saying you are leaving because another company will provide the same service for less money , that could get an offer to match or better the other company's price, but if you want to leave regardless of price, I would let the new company do the notice giving to your 'old' provider
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure