Buyer Wants A Refund 2 Months After Sale

So I sold 2 tubs of face cream at the end of July. I got 3 tubs as they were on 3 4 2. I used one but it was too fragranced for me so put the other 2 on eBay.

Buyer has now messaged me saying they've just opened the cream which is watery and they want a refund. They've sent me photos of the cream too. When I opened mine, it was normal cream consistency.

I know eBay money back guarantee is only for 28 days. However, if the buyer opens up a PayPal claim then that's a different matter because it's 6 months.

How do I go about this? I'm not a business seller and on my listing I did specify no returns. I'm not sure if this amounts to anything though.

Comments

• Tell them to give it a good stir, it's been sat unopened for too long.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If they open a SNAD via PayPal and win then they have to return at their own cost, so they might not bother.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for your responses.

Buyer opened a return request which I have swiftly declined with an explanation.

What are PayPal like with refunds? Do they always side with the buyer also?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    mimi1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses.

Buyer opened a return request which I have swiftly declined with an explanation.

What are PayPal like with refunds? Do they always side with the buyer also?

Paypal are more considered so should should word your response correctly along with any evidence to support it.
  • mimi1234
    Wow, this is a bit $h!tty. So she opened a refund request on eBay and I said no saying the 30 day money back guarantee had elapsed.

I've just logged into my PayPal and an automatic refund was sent to her. There was no case on PayPal, no email sent to me to say she had disputed anything. Is that what PayPal do now? Just send out an automatic refund?
  • soolin
    Wow, this is a bit $h!tty. So she opened a refund request on eBay and I said no saying the 30 day money back guarantee had elapsed.

I've just logged into my PayPal and an automatic refund was sent to her. There was no case on PayPal, no email sent to me to say she had disputed anything. Is that what PayPal do now? Just send out an automatic refund?

No they don't , they open an account and give the seller a week (or is it 8 days) to respond. If seller doe snot respond then buyer is automatically refunded.

Did you keep an eye on your paypal, was there any way you forgot to check for a week or more and had this case opened and closed before you noticed?

It might also be worth checking your spam folder for any paypal emails.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mimi1234
    soolin wrote: »
    No they don't , they open an account and give the seller a week (or is it 8 days) to respond. If seller doe snot respond then buyer is automatically refunded.

Did you keep an eye on your paypal, was there any way you forgot to check for a week or more and had this case opened and closed before you noticed?

It might also be worth checking your spam folder for any paypal emails.

I didn't receive any such emails. I always check my junk and spam box as well.

I checked my PayPal account twice this week, there were no issues at all.

I had someone open up a dispute or a case on PayPal a year or two back and I got an email saying you need to respond. No such thing this time.
  • mimi1234
    Yeah, so I have spoken to PayPal who have said tough tits, you didn't respond, there is nothing we can do.

They are alleging they sent me 5 emails but I have not received a single one. I've checked on my blocked and phishing list, PayPal is not on there. So either they didn't sent them or they were lost in space.

Is it essential to still use PayPal as a payment method on eBay? I think I have a few bits and bats I want to sell on eBay and then I am just going to take everything to a charity shop and not bother anymore. It wasn't a large amount of money I lost but I feel let down by PayPal! I know I checked my account twice this week, I even showed my Mum and there were no cases or issues showing!!!
  • soolin
    Yeah, so I have spoken to PayPal who have said tough tits, you didn't respond, there is nothing we can do.

They are alleging they sent me 5 emails but I have not received a single one. I've checked on my blocked and phishing list, PayPal is not on there. So either they didn't sent them or they were lost in space.

Is it essential to still use PayPal as a payment method on eBay? I think I have a few bits and bats I want to sell on eBay and then I am just going to take everything to a charity shop and not bother anymore. It wasn't a large amount of money I lost but I feel let down by PayPal! I know I checked my account twice this week, I even showed my Mum and there were no cases or issues showing!!!

If a case had been opened and closed it won't show- and it wasn't necessarily opened this week- you may have missed it last week or the week before.

Without paypal you can't sell on ebay - but you could still set up with one of the aps like shpock or facebook marketplace. Although about a third of my sales on those go via paypal as well so it might not help.
  • mimi1234
    Oh and how apt! I've just been sent an email from PayPal about the chat I had with them before I got put through to someone on the phone.

So they will email me the chat transcript but not email me and notify me a case has been opened or is about to close.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure