How much speed do I need?

Options
So, if I am streaming three services (say BBC iPlayer or Netflix, Youtube in HD and Amazon Prime) at the same time, how many mbps would i need from the router?

I'm trying to reduce monthly cost and could not get an answer to my question from Virgin, just guff about total downloads. I think 50mbps would be enough from what I have researched and that paying Virgin extra money for 100mbps would be wasted for my usage.

Thanks

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    About 5Mbps each for HD.
    Virgin need to convince punters that they need fast internet speeds as that is their USP. UHD streaming is when the bandwidth requirements become more significant.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 January 2020 at 8:39PM
    Options
    VM are upgrading existing 50mbps customers to 100mbps for free provided you joined before the middle of December 2019. If you want Prime and Netflix in 4K its 25mbps each and Youtube is 15mbps.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    Standard:
    BBC I Player - 1.5 Mbps
    Netflix - 3 Mbps
    Amazin Prime - 0.9 Mbps
    YouTube - 2.5 Mbps

HD:
    BBC I Player - 2.8 Mbps
    Netflix - 5 Mbps
    Amazin Prime - 3.5 Mbps
    YouTube - 4 Mbps

Ultra HD:
    BBC I Player - Not available
    Netflix - 25 Mbps
    Amazin Prime - 25 Mbps
    YouTube - 15 Mbps

https://www.comparethemarket.com/broadband/content/broadband-for-streaming/
  • colb15
    colb15 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was pondering the same thing recently as I currently have 66mb with Plusnet, some deals around are offering 38mb and it would seem to be sufficient for my needs. Only use it to stream HD and internet browsing.

Anyone moved from higher mb down to 38mb and regretted it?
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    cranford wrote: »
    VM are upgrading existing 50mbps customers to 100mbps for free provided you joined before the middle of December 2019. If you want Prime and Netflix in 4K its 25mbps each and Youtube is 15mbps.

They pulled that one on me, saying they would upgrade the account to 70 MB/s from 50. They then used this to try to justify yet another price increase shortly after. In reality the speed never went above 50 MB/s even after the price rise. I walked..
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    colb15 wrote: »
    Was pondering the same thing recently as I currently have 66mb with Plusnet, some deals around are offering 38mb and it would seem to be sufficient for my needs. Only use it to stream HD and internet browsing.

You can stream HD on a 38Mbps connection.
    I have Amazon Prime and I can stream UHD/4k content down it no problem at all. I do live alone so I don't have to share the bandwith with anybody else mind you so that may be something else to consider if you do...
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2020 at 9:10AM
    Options

I'm on that speed now for the last 18 months, down from 50Mb from Virgin, never noticed a difference with streaming. All my tv viewing is through the Internet and I game a lot on the PlayStation 4.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I can only dream of 38mb

We survive quite well on just 22mb, with two tvs and two other devices going at the same time. ( 3 adults ) A bit of buffering if the grandkids are also playing certain games but that's rare, there may be up to 8 devices connected then
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    I'm on that speed now for the last 18 months, down from 50Mb from Virgin, never noticed a difference with streaming. All my tv viewing is through the Internet and I game a lot on the PlayStation 4.

I'm on 36Mb/s with PO Broadband after being with Virgin Media for 12 years at 30, 50 and most recently 100 Mb/s following 'free' upgrades. I haven't noticed any difference, though I'm a fairly light user just web browsing and streaming one HD channel at a time.
  • Meg_x
    Meg_x Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just switched from Virgin to Vodafone.
    Was paying £49-50 a month for 100mb (which I didn't need)
    Am now paying £21 for 64, with a guarantee that it'll never fall below 50.

Incidentally, after giving Virgin 30 days notice because they only offered a £10 discount on my bill, I then had a phone call from them saying they'd reduce my bill to only £18 a month if I stayed with them...I refused and said they should've offered me it earlier.
    Everyone you meet may be fighting a battle you know nothing about.
    Be kind!
    🧚
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family