Transit flight missed due to plane circling airport and unable to land on time for tranfer flight

We had a return flight from Ethiopia to Manchester with one stop at Istanbul to transfer to a another plane.
The plane had to circle the airport before it could land causing us to miss the connecting flight to Manchester.
The FAQ states that air traffic control delays are outside of the airline's control and i, therefore, cannot claim compensation.
If the airline is not liable, is there no compensation available from the airport for the stress, inconvenience and missed meetings that we had arranged for that day ?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You could check your travel insurance policy to see what it covers
    Did you originally book a short connection?
  • We had a return flight from Ethiopia to Manchester with one stop at Istanbul to transfer to a another plane.
    The plane had to circle the airport before it could land causing us to miss the connecting flight to Manchester.
    The FAQ states that air traffic control delays are outside of the airline's control and i, therefore, cannot claim compensation.
    If the airline is not liable, is there no compensation available from the airport for the stress, inconvenience and missed meetings that we had arranged for that day ?

Merry Christmas - is that the best you can come up with? Really you need to be far more original in your writing than that. 0/10 for originality.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had a return flight from Ethiopia to Manchester with one stop at Istanbul to transfer to a another plane.

Neither Ethiopia nor Turkey are EU members, so unless the airline is based in the EU you have no right to compensation anyway. (From the route I would imagine you used Turkish Airlines, which of course is not an EU airline.)

I hope you enjoyed Ethiopia.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Neither Ethiopia nor Turkey are EU members, so unless the airline is based in the EU you have no right to compensation anyway. (
    SHY regulations would cover the flight....although, as with EU261, no compensation for anything outside the airlines control
    https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlmedia.com/file/635939078377567005CE.pdf
  • thought it was a long shot anyway,didn't realize turkey wasn't a EU member,
    thanks for all the replies,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills