BAD Plusnet Unlimited Broadband Deal

Options
We had a contract with pusnet for a year setting the price, just got a letter saying that it it would go up by £1 a month and if we didn't like it we could find another provider. They are using that extorted money to launch an offer, that moneysavingexpert is advertising for them, rewarding their bad behaviour. In the long run, this is bad for all costumers and I am surprised this site would condone this behaviour and give them free publicity.
I love everything this site stands for and does, but this is a mistake. I am hoping that someone at the top sees this and does something about it.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    963 wrote: »
    We had a contract with pusnet for a year setting the price, just got a letter saying that it it would go up by £1 a month and if we didn't like it we could find another provider. They are using that extorted money to launch an offer, that moneysavingexpert is advertising for them, rewarding their bad behaviour. In the long run, this is bad for all costumers and I am surprised this site would condone this behaviour and give them free publicity.
    I love everything this site stands for and does, but this is a mistake. I am hoping that someone at the top sees this and does something about it.
    There is no extortion .If the price rises you are free to leave and be refunded any pre-paid line rental unused. They are not forcing you to take any deal, as you can go wherever you choose.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I assume you are quite new to the ISP world. Almost all the main ones put prices up every year (at least) but as said above, you are free to leave with no charge and move to someone else.
    963 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I have been in the ISP world for many years now, but that was not my point, Plusnet and the others hold all the cards, if they want to put the price up mid contract they can just do it and break the contract, if you or I, find a cheaper supplier we can't break the contract without penalties. It's unjust and there is no recourse, as there is no regulation forcing them to do the right thing. My point was that moneysavingexpert advertising their new deal, without saying that they are fleecing their existing consumers to provide this discount, just gives the ISPs an incentive to carry on.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Plusnet (and other providers) do offer 30 day contracts if that's what you prefer.
  • mije1983
    edited 19 April 2018 at 5:23PM
    Options
    there is no recourse, as there is no regulation forcing them to do the right thing.

There is regulation. You are allowed to move penalty free if they raise prices. That's not something that the ISPs have decided to do themselves. It has been forced on them by law.

they are fleecing their existing consumers

In what way are they fleecing you? They are not forcing you to stay and pay the increased charge. If you don't like the price rise, you are free to leave to a cheaper supplier. I actually prefer this. It's effortless to change ISPs and makes it even cheaper for people once you combine it with cashback and any other offer a new provider is offering.

I'm also not sure where any ISP is using force or threats to keep you in contract when there is a price rise? Although I'm definitely open to hearing when Plusnet have done that to you, and I'm sure MSE would be very interested in that story.

Effectively though what you are saying is that MSE shouldn't promote any BB deals then, regardless of supplier because prices go up? Why stop there? Maybe MSE shouldn't promote any mobile phone deals either, or utilities deals, as prices change there as well. But then surely consumers lose out if they aren't aware of which deal is the cheapest so more people would stay with their current provider, and be paying more than they needed to?

Maybe Talk Talk is the ISP for you. I believe they still offer their BB for a fixed price throughout your minimum term.
    963 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 20 April 2018 at 4:09PM
    Options
    mije1983 let's try and keep to the facts you said: "I'm also not sure where any ISP is using force or threats to keep you in contract". I never said that in any of the messages posted.
    My point is simple it's about the fact that these companies can break the contract without penalties if they want to increase the price, but if I wanted to move because I found a cheaper price, I would have to pay a penalty.If MSE pointed this out they could shame the companies, or the regulator, if there is one to make it fairer. I am not trying to get into an argument, I just think that fair is not a dirty or an unattainable concept to pursue. I hope you have a great day (not being sarcastic).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My point is simple it's about the fact that these companies can break the contract without penalties if they want to increase the price, but if I wanted to move because I found a cheaper price, I would have to pay a penalty.If MSE pointed this out they could shame the companies, or the regulator, if there is one to make it fairer. I am not trying to get into an argument, I just think that fair is not a dirty or an unattainable concept to pursue. I hope you have a great day (not being sarcastic).

The companies are penalised when they put the price up as people can then leave penalty free. If they don't, perhaps they're still happy with the price?

If you want to leave purely because of a lower price elsewhere then of course you should pay a penalty, the same way the company do.

MSE always points out that you can leave when someone raises prices and even sends out emails to that respect so I'm not sure why you're upset with them.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My point is simple it's about the fact that these companies can break the contract without penalties if they want to increase the price, but

The companies are not breaking the contract, but you are free to break it and move. The contract states that they can raise prices, giving the details of your right to leave.
  • mije1983
    Options
    mije1983 let's try and keep to the facts you said: "I'm also not sure where any ISP is using force or threats to keep you in contract". I never said that in any of the messages posted.

That is what extortion is. And you said Plusnet were extorting money in your first post. So maybe extortion was a bit of an over the top word then?

My point is simple it's about the fact that these companies can break the contract without penalties if they want to increase the price, but if I wanted to move because I found a cheaper price, I would have to pay a penalty. If MSE pointed this out they could shame the companies, or the regulator, if there is one to make it fairer..

As teddysmum says, they are not breaking the contract. You agree to their terms when you take the service, and one of those terms is the possibility of a price rise during your minimum term. If you don't agree to that term, then you can take your business elsewhere. As I said, Talk Talk do (or did) guarantee that there will be no BB price rises in your minimum term. So there is a choice out there.

Also, MSE also do point out in every deal they highlight that should prices rise you could be able leave penalty free. So MSE are effectively saying that prices probably will go up. This is the one from the latest Plusnet deal on this site:
    - Could Plusnet hike prices? Sadly, telecoms firms often do, but you should be able to leave penalty-free if it happens while you're in contract.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    I'm slightly puzzled here. I negotiated a 2 year deal a year or so back and have had no notification of any increase yet I've seen more than one thread about an increase. Are all customers supposed to be getting this increase?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure