Pension Credit and 2nd Home

Options

Comments

• zoxsa
    zoxsa Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Its no problem.

I need a remortgage to pay hospital fees for my mother's treatment. The only way is to remove my dad from the title deeds.. its OK. Im SURE the DWP will understand.

The 1st letter I wrote to them was asking us to send us an invoice of any overpaid benefits. We literally harassed them to tell us how much we owe (IF we owed anything).

We asked them to stop the PC, but they didn't.

I just found out today that the PC was recent. So perhaps there isn't much to pay back. I think being transparent with the DWP is the best way; but equally, we do need to live our lives.. we have bills to pay and need a remortgage anyway - and that means taking my dad's name off.. I was just wondering if there was any synergy that could be made other than helping get equity from our house.

Thank you all so so much for your replies. You're great. I appreciate that.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 September 2018 at 10:30AM
    Options
    zoxsa wrote: »
    We asked them to stop the PC, but they didn't.

If your father asks them to cancel his claim they should stop it but the request needs to come from him.

When you remove your father's name from the deeds the DWP would expect him to get some value from his share so it is probable that he will not be able to get PC in the future. From your posts I think you are probably OK with that.

You have not said how old your father is nor what his state of health is however I infer from what you have said that he is not capable of looking after himself. If he is over 65 he may qualify for Attendance Allowance, if below 65 he may qualify for PIP. Neither of these benefits are means tested so other income and/or capital will have no impact on his entitlement. Both benefits are intended to provide money to help someone pay for extra costs incurred as a result of not being able to look after themselves.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • skcollobcat10
    Options
    You said in your opening info that your mother passed away in 2016, why do you need to pay for treatment 2 years later?
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zoxsa wrote: »
    Its no problem.

I need a remortgage to pay hospital fees for my mother's treatment. The only way is to remove my dad from the title deeds.. its OK. Im SURE the DWP will understand.

Earlier you mentioned that your mother had died, so how come there are hospital fees to pay for somebody who is no longer on this earth??? We have an excellent NHS service in this country that despite some of it's failings, does provide medical treatment for those ill enough to require it.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Oops! OP "forgot" their mother "died" in another thread. Yet another forum fantasist trying to troll everyone with claims of £1m houses and benefit fraud. How pathetic.
  • Carrieanne
    Options
    I think the OP is the latest in a long line of reincarnations of a former member and another fantasist who disappeared suddenly and ignominiously. His/her user name was londonsu, or something similar. The tell is that person's inability in every guise to correctly contract it is with an it's.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This thread is pointless. When you/your father realised that he will receiving benefits he wasn't entitled to, he should have put that money aside ready to be repaid so it only leaves what he was paid wrongly up to that period. Sounds like he would likely be entitled to a loan that cold be used to repay so why mentioning the dwp demanding that the house be sold?

What he can't do which is clearly what you are trying to get out is keep money that he claim fraudulently and being exempt from paying it back. That wo t happen however you try to twist the story around.
  • zoxsa
    Options
    Oh dear. There's no need to be mean.

So my mother passed away in 2016. She was the carer for my father.
    She did everything.

The NHS is not as good as you think. The NHS messed up and took too long to treat her cancer. she was diagnosed at stage 1 , but the time the operation took place , it was stage 4. We tried after to take her to a cancer clinic in Germany. She died of cancer and was treated in Germany privately.

So, she passed away in late 2016. I think in early 2017 or late 2016, that's when we resumed her daily duties and started to sort things out for my dad.

One of these was resubmitting his PC declaration.

That's when we started to learn more about these issues.

I called CAB ages ago, and I didn't get much help. I suppose asking on an Internet forum means you get quick replies but at the expense of being judged. Well.. the truth is this. I wrote to the DWP and told them (in 2016 when we found there was an issue) to STOP all PC's to my dad. I said we are writing on his behalf because he is disabled.

I mentioned my dad's age already - he is over 84. He is old, he cannot walk. He cannot hear too well.. he cannot see too well either.

This is my 1st time on this forum. I've been polite. My only crime was that I opened a sister thread on a related subject. That's all.
  • zoxsa
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    This thread is pointless.

Well.. I've learnt a lot. I'm young and didn't know anything about pension credits. I didn't know they existed. I just thought everyone had a pension.
    When you/your father realised that he will receiving benefits he wasn't entitled to, he should have put that money aside ready to be repaid so it only leaves what he was paid wrongly up to that period.

Well.. we wrote and called the DWP, and in our correspondence we said everything. We said if he's receiving anything he should not be receiving, then CANCEL the PC and we are happy to pay you back. They did not stop.
    My father cannot write. He is disabled.
    Sounds like he would likely be entitled to a loan that cold be used to repay so why mentioning the dwp demanding that the house be sold?

Yes.. we can get a loan.. I don't mind. Its no problem.
    What he can't do which is clearly what you are trying to get out is keep money that he claim fraudulently and being exempt from paying it back. That wo t happen however you try to twist the story around.

No! That's not what I'm trying to do!! Im trying to pay back the DWP (if there's anything to be paid back) on my terms . .. not to take the 2nd house as collateral.

You seem very mean.. if its pointless, why are you contributing? I called CAB, I got nothing. I called lawyers and they seem REALLY sneaky!!
    We WANT to pay DWP anything, but these lawyers seem to want to lie about everything..

I don't believe in lying. I like the truth.. but this is NOT my problem. I'm just some guy who found himself in this situation. I personally am not claiming anything.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Any attempt to effectively dispose of assets so that the overpayment can't be recovered is a high risk strategy. Just take all possible steps to get the debt cleared and only then worry about the house.
    To be honest, the feeling that comes across is less one of concern for you father and more about protecting your interests. DWP or any other creditor could simply apply for a lien against the property if they believe actions have been taken to hide assets. That would be a much worse outcome than simply getting things sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure