Will We Be Entitled Too Any Benefits?

Options
13»

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    Options
    It's a little worrying that the OP has implied that he might leave his girlfriend - on the Marriages board, he has posted that tests have shown that there is a one in 44 chance that there baby will have Down's Syndrome.

In the event of disability, things do change. If it does occur, then there are different options, and some of those depend on a variety of factors, such as whether one parent gives up work or reduces hours. In this case, benefits such as Child Tax credits might come into play. However, until the baby is born and decisions are made, it is impossible to advise further.
  • hign10pines
    Options
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    You are looking for something (and baiting) that isn't there. Us not living together/being married I would assume she was classed as single. Give me a scenario when it's not. And yes, I'll wait. I don't really see any scenario the benefits office would not deem you as single if you are paying rent/council tax individually at separate addresses!

We both have decent enough jobs so why would we scam? I've never lived with a partner before so want to know in case it didn't work out that she'd be financially sound and that my child would be too.

Sounds like you've had a rough day to suggest something like that :(

Don't you want to have one household once the child arrives?
    Student nurse 2018 to 2020
    Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It wasn't looking good some weeks back, so lord only knows where they'll have got to before any child is born.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5712515
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to be that person to ask but..... didnt OP think of childcare costs before him and his girlfriend got pregnant? Surely its obvious the baby will need someone to look after it. You cant really get pregnant, come on this board then complain that childcare is 900 a month.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Loz01 wrote: »
    Sorry to be that person to ask but..... didnt OP think of childcare costs before him and his girlfriend got pregnant? Surely its obvious the baby will need someone to look after it. You cant really get pregnant, come on this board then complain that childcare is 900 a month.

You are assuming that it was planned.

I don’t see what’s so wrong with asking what help is available. You don’t need to be a low earner to get help with childcare.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are assuming that it was planned.

I don’t see what’s so wrong with asking what help is available. You don’t need to be a low earner to get help with childcare.

Eh, even if it wasn't planned, we all know how babies are made lol
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Loz01 wrote: »
    Eh, even if it wasn't planned, we all know how babies are made lol

Doesn’t mean accidents don’t happen! This forum is about discussing benefit entitlement, not about whether they were right or wrong to have a child.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to get your priority right. You're about to become a dad. It's the most precious gift of life. In return, it will be the most demanding role as you are expected to be responsible and support that person.

Money means nothing compared to building a strong relationship with your child, and you will not be in a position to do so if you act as a 'single' dad, ie. you opt not to live with your child and partner just so that you can get a little extra disposable income at the end, to go and buy stuff you don't need, at the cost of spending all your spare time to bond with your baby.

Such posts are so despairing that it got to the point that people go ahead and have kids without much thought behind it and value a bit of extra cash over the value of being a parent. Poor kid!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure