PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I do with custard

Options

Comments

• carlih1
    carlih1 Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    Hand a friend round tonight, so made some apple crumble with proper HM custard from Jamie Oliver new book (sugar, milk, 8 egg yolks, huge tub of double cream and a vanila pod). Was lovely... if a little expensive. But worth it!

Anyway, got half of the custard left, and dont want to waste it. But I'm not sure what to do with it. Any idea?

Ooh was thinking of investing in the jo book, whats it like???

C
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    Only had it a day so I've not had a really good read of it yet, but so far I like what I've seen.

This is my first Oliver book so I cant compare with any of his other stuff, but this one caught my eye. Most of the recipes have images of what the finished product will look like which I really like in a recipe book as I think its important to get an idea of what your making.

The descriptions for the recipes are really staightforward and easy to follow. Also the recipes themselves are quite interesting and I'm already planning to try a few.

Yeah I'd probably recommend it, but only if you can find it cheap somewhere. It says £26 on the sleeve! But I got my copy in Sainsburys for £12.99.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • HappyShopper3
    Options
    That looks absolutely delicious Happy. Is that waffles you've put with it? (I've only ever bought the shop made ones, so do you heat them up first?)
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    That looks absolutely delicious Happy. Is that waffles you've put with it? (I've only ever bought the shop made ones, so do you heat them up first?)

Those were shop bought too, got them in Aldi last week as they were on offer. They were a bit too sweet and almondy, so I wont be getting them again. Might try and make my own next time.

Everything else was HM though.

It was nice, but my portions were a bit big and I'm now stuffed!
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The look of that icecream made me so hungry I am going to rummage in the freezer now for any (shopbought, alas) leftover icecream!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    Caterina wrote:
    The look of that icecream made me so hungry I am going to rummage in the freezer now for any (shopbought, alas) leftover icecream!

Caterina

Hehe! Did you find any?

If you like icecream you ought to buy a maker. I have one with a built in freezer unit which I treated myself too a couple of years ago (and it does get used).

However before I bought that one I had one of those cheap one's that you take the bowl off and pop in the freezer for 24 hours before using it. And I have to say the quality of the ice-cream from both machines is identical. I bought the one with the inbuilt freezer because it can be used spontaneously without us having to plan anything other than the ingredients.

I can definately recommend them, they are only about £15 and make superb ice-cream, actually better than Hagan Daz and other premium ice-creams. It takes about 20 minutes to make the mixture and 40 minutes to turn it into icecream in the machine. Sainsburys do this luxury continental belgium chocolate that makes absolutely fantastic chocolate icecream that will quite simply blow your socks off! Proper showing off material!
  • nixinix
    nixinix Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    I have a tub of ready made custard (I know not very OS but I ALWAYS curdle hm custard!! lol!) that I need to use in the next couple of days.

I have in SR and plain flour, egg, sugar, butter, treacle, maple syrup, jam, lemons, ready made pastry puff and short crust, and probably more that I haven't thought of as my cupboards are quite full.

My ideas are jam sponge, treacle sponge, lemon sponge and then I can't think of much and they aren't exciting me, pus today is such a nice warm day they seem a bit 'stodgy' so any other ideas that are more exciting....to feed a fussy DH and fussy 3 year old and 1 year old for pudding tonight...?
    Boo!:rotfl:
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would fold the custard into some whipped cream and use to fill shortcrust pastry cases then top with fresh berries to make a nice summery fruit tartlet
  • nixinix
    Options
    sounds beautiful - but I don't have any cream or fresh berries and I was trying to avaoid going to the shops as I always buy more than I go for! So I'll use that for another time :)
  • nixinix
    Options
    anymore ideas??? For once my two children are happily playing in the garden and I am struggling for ideas...typical of me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport