Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Revolut, which can be loaded directly in euros by debit card or bank transfer. The only fee will be if Barclays charges for the transfer from your euro account to that of Revolut, which is also with Barclays UK. Please let us know if you find out whether they charge or not for this.
    Casciana wrote: »
    I have now arranged a bank transfer from my Euro account at Barclays onto my Revolut card. Barclays charge a minimum of £15.00 for this as it is classed as a foreign currency.
    It seems an outrageous charge for a transfer between two of their own accounts in the same currency. Presumably it's a SEPA transfer, for which the UK has not opted in to the intention to make charges zero or minimal, but banks are not allowed to charge more for an international SEPA transfer than they do for a domestic transfer in the same currency. So this is likely to be a reason that Barclays maintain such a charge in this case. The situation is outlined in this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5387876

I can't see much point in having a euro account in the UK without a debit card, when there are substantial charges for accessing your own money. I used to have a euro account in Jersey with a debit card, which made it quite useful.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • traveltovancouver
    Options
    On MSE advice I took a travelex C$ card to Vancouver. Despite their claims 1. many places will not accept it 2. you always get charged for cash.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alanwicker wrote: »
    I'm going to France and want a pre-paid travel card for fuel and motorway toll purchases and wondered if anyone had any feedback on the FairFX card?
    I read that some prepaid travel cards have not worked at petrol stations or autoroute toll booths. Is this one of them?
    I would not expect it to work for automated fuel purchase and AutoRoute tolls, you can check the FAQs on their website or email a specific question to enquiries@fairfx.com
    Evolution, not revolution
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    On MSE advice I took a travelex C$ card to Vancouver. Despite their claims 1. many places will not accept it 2. you always get charged for cash.

Nonsense. MSE did not advise you to do such a thing. Take responsibility.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Alanwicker wrote: »
    Hi,

My first post, so please be gentle!

I'm going to France and want a pre-paid travel card for fuel and motorway toll purchases and wondered if anyone had any feedback on the FairFX card?
    I read that some prepaid travel cards have not worked at petrol stations or autoroute toll booths. Is this one of them?
    Has anyone used their FairFX in France and if so, any issues?
    Hopefully the strikes and fuel blockages will be over by the time we depart!
    Thanks

If you've a Metro Bank near you, pop in and pick up one of their debit cards.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Looking to use a "travel" card to spend online in EUR/USD, any recommendations which has best rates?
  • scorpio1911
    Options
    Just back from 3 week holiday in USA and used my Revolut Card everywhere. Loved it and had no problems using it at all. I had an issue with the process of validating my ID but Revolut responded inmediately and it was resolved. Will be using gain in Aug when I travel to Europe.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Futuristic wrote: »
    Looking to use a "travel" card to spend online in EUR/USD, any recommendations which has best rates?

Revolut hands down. You'll have a virtual card in minutes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi

This week I applied for the Fair FX pre paid card through this website, and loaded up £600 + so am eligible for an extra £20, which I understand is by a voucher. Does anyone know when I get this voucher. The card has arrived already.

Thanks
    Joosing
  • SaleemShah
    Options
    The MSE code for opening Revolut account has maxed out. Are there any other codes available?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback