What level of text data does Windows store and potentially upload to Microsoft?

Options

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Don't worry - the school holidays should be over soon.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Either you've mis-read (the CIA allegedly responded to the comment - they didn't make the original comment), or you're commenting on the fact that the word Intelligence in their name looks odd in their response. (Hard to tell if it's a capital or small letter I).

Which is it? The latter I hope, else the joke's on you. ;)
    Difficult to see that the quote is from someone else and CIA comment on it - I can see it now. Not being a Twitterer, if that is the word, don't know how it works! Thanks for pointing it out. I'll crawl back under my rock now.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is that right? I didn't realise that. I'm going to do a bit of research on that myself!

You must be joking, you can't really believe that?. Imagine how much battery would be used up if a phone was constantly streaming all audio from the microphone. Plus all those people who have limited data on their contracts would use it all up and not know where it's gone.

People with even a basic understanding of technology (so you will need someone to help you ;) ) can check these things very easily and it would be posted everywhere online with evidence if it was true.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Difficult to see that the quote is from someone else and CIA comment on it - I can see it now. Not being a Twitterer, if that is the word, don't know how it works! Thanks for pointing it out. I'll crawl back under my rock now.

It's from Facebook not Twitter if your interested ;)
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Can you imagine the amount of storage that would be needed if Microsoft were to record every key stroke on every computer using Windows?

I doubt Bill Gates would be able to afford it.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Very slightly paraphrasing a line from Hamlet:

"The laddie doth protest too much, methinks."
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    With the advent of enhanced disk technology, all the words ever uttered or written in the history of the universe can be stored on the head of a pin.

That's reductio ad absurdum for you!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    ((Hard to tell if it's a capital or small letter I).Which is it? The latter I hope, else the joke's on you. ;)

small letter i, it's a bit pixellated...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 April 2019 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Three threads merged under the general theme of "is technology being used to spy on us"?

The specifics of the three original questions, are in my opinion...

- no - Windows is not spying.

- no - digital assistants are not spying (however it is in the nature of how they work that sample conversations will be uploaded and potentially examined for the purpose of product development and that will be noted in the Ts & Cs).

- yes, undoubtedly some people, somewhere, will be using cameras unlawfully/immorally to spy on other people.

This isn't so much a question of storage or comms capacity but of the computing and human resources required for analysis and what the purpose of such analysis would be. We live in an era in which a significant proportion of western societies (possibly a majority) are involved in complaining about the Powers That Be in some way at some time. It is not news that people are doing that, it is entirely healthy and it is so widespread that it is of no value to Government to know the detail (other than as a giant focus group).
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So, what's your conclusion? You already stated that you would not be purchasing an Amazon echo or Google home. You then go on to believe everything you read (even quoting a Daily Mail article, that's a real low point!) about computers etc.
    Question is, why are you still using one? Do, you have a mobile phone.....If so, you are really screwed.....and why?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills