What level of text data does Windows store and potentially upload to Microsoft?

Options
Legacy_user
Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 23 April 2019 at 3:31PM in Techie Stuff
What level of text data does Windows store and potentially upload to Microsoft?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you invested heavily in tin hat shares and are trying to push up the price?

:D
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know whether it does or not and I don't really care.

I'm sure 'where's my socks?' and 'who's left the top off the toothpaste again?' are not issues of high national importance.

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does anybody believe that there's a strong likelihood that the Google Home and the Amazon Echo listen and record conversations around them and that a copy of these conversations are permanently kept?

Does anybody else think most likely the NSA and other relevant UK agencies are scooping up that intel but all of course "automated" so that when they say it's not listened to by humans it's ok.

I personally think this is fairly likely. I wont' be purchasing one and I don't keep the smart TV part switched on either in case that to starts listening to me and uploading the conversations in my home.

No this does not happen. Many people who know what they are doing have looked at the network traffic from Echos and Google Homes and have found that information is only sent to the servers after you have issued the wake up command.

It's relatively simple to check yourself and see the amount of data is nowhere near enough for it to be sending constant audio recordings to the server.

You can also check on the apps to see what each device has recorded and the commands it has recognised and what it hasn't.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely you should replace the word "Microsoft" by "GCHQ" throughout your post?

What the world needs are better conspiracy theories!
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I refer you to the post I made some moments earlier:

What the world needs are better conspiracy theories!
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Microsoft alone has 1.2 Billion users. Why would they be interested in individuals who like swinging......Your secret is safe.......
    Be more wary of your Government than MS or Google......Until they are your Government...;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Does anybody believe that there's a strong likelihood that the Google Home and the Amazon Echo listen and record conversations around them and that a copy of these conversations are permanently kept?

Does anybody else think most likely the NSA and other relevant UK agencies are scooping up that intel but all of course "automated" so that when they say it's not listened to by humans it's ok.

I personally think this is fairly likely. I wont' be purchasing one and I don't keep the smart TV part switched on either in case that to starts listening to me and uploading the conversations in my home.
    You know that worrying needlessly about these things shortens your life?
    The NSA and GCHQ will be monitoring this forum and know that you are keeping secrets. Best be very careful what you say.....:eek:
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    2nvxb0o.png
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    After looking at their posting history that's another idiot on my ignore list.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    2nvxb0o.png
    Central Intelligence Agency with that grammatical error!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure