PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Problems & Delays Buying A House

Options
Im a first time buyer and have no experience in this field so hoping someone can give me some help.

I found a shared ownership house for sale through the help to buy site which i viewed via an estate agent and made an offer that was accepted.
The estate agents mortgage broker found me a good mortgage and this has been applied for and approved - all good and all this went well and quickly.

The estate agent then recommended a conveyancer which I got the paperwork through and signed and sent back. They then took part payment for searches (which took a while to get a phone call from then - i should have known).

There was then delays as the sellers solicitors didnt send the contract pack and apparently the estate agent then got them to change to a conveyancer they use. These solicitors sound like they were on the ball and said they sent out the draft contracts last week.

I havent heard anything from my solicitors so contacted them all last week and didnt hear anything until this monday when my assigned conveyancer said my paperwork had been sent to another branch as it was her last day!!!!
Since Tuesday the estate agent and myself have been trying to trace where my contract is and who is dealing with it but have had no replies from emails and no replies when told someone will ring me back.

Now ,having spoke to the estate agent - they are now saying the seller is chasing and has been in chasing the estate agent why we havent continued!!!!

So, it looks it maybe possible for the seller to go elsewhere as the solicitor the estate agent recommended me (and that i have paid £400 too so far) is rubbish and not responding.
I could go elsewhere but then what happens about the £400 ive already paid which they have done nothing with?

What shall i do?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    didnt hear anything until this monday
    Yesterday?
    Since Tuesday the estate agent and myself have been trying to trace where my contract is and who is dealing with it
    Today?

If so, I think you're being unrealistic about the timescales (though sounds like the other party is too).
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    3 months on average to buy a house. The fact your using the Estate agent services, I wish you luck. Most of them are rubbish and on the cheap in terms of quality.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • notroubleclubber
    Options
    Sorry . Maybe i havent explained the timeline well.

End of july applied for house and mortgage and agreed.
    Waiting for contract since beginning of august.
    Seller had put wrong address for their solicitors so was corrected.
    Then seller gave up with their solicitor and estate agent persuaded them to go with someone else two weeks ago.
    My solicitor received contract last week apparently but didnt do anything with it and then told me she was leaving this monday and i was told monday the contract and my files were sent last week to another branch.
    They havent told me who my solicitor is and nothing has been updated.
    So yes, delay seems to have been sellers previous solicitors was useless for the last 2 months and now my solicitor has gone awol.
  • notroubleclubber
    Options
    Thinking about it - maybe i am being harsh on the timeline for my solicitor.
    They only received the contract last week.

Its just lack of communication i think that annoys me.
  • readysteadysell
    Options
    we've just hit 4 months now and no sign of exchange happening. we have run into a few issues along the way which has held us back.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We bought a vacant property with cash and it took 5 months. So no chain and no mortgage and it took 5 months. Sometime unexpected things come up in the searches that take time to sort out. Buying a house can take a long time you just have to learn to wait.

It has only been less than 2 months so far. You could easily have another 6 months wait. Buying a property isn't instant.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just exchanged after 4½ months.
    It was exceptional as FTBs struggled to get a mortgage.

If the FTBs had got the first mortgage they went for it'd have been 3½ months.
  • notroubleclubber
    notroubleclubber Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2019 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Update:
    I got assigned another senior conveyancer from the same company.
    Ive been messaging back and forth and had draft contract etc.
    I told them all i was on holiday for 2 weeks end of october. EA said that the seller has now vacated property- answered all enquiries with the EA and seller has now moved abroad.
    My Solicitor advised me that as long as they had the deposit then they can do exchange without me while im away on holiday so sent the deposit before i went.
    Im coming to end of my holiday and EA has disappeared for a week, my conveyancer has said they are still awaiting some of the enquiries back as not all have been answered satisfactory and housing associaition is also waiting for mortgage details from my solicitor too which they have had. They also said they havent received any enquiries from my solicitor - one email from solicitor says they hadnt sent enquiries and a second email said they had!
    Emailed my solicitor/conveyancer saying whats holding everything up and why hasnt the housing associaition had my mortgage details as this was done in july and now have an email bounce back to say solicitor is on holiday for two weeks.
    Really had enough of all the waiting and a simple answer to a question (solicitor likes to answer by one sentence and EA doesnt seem to be doing a lot).
    Ive asked for an exchange date but keep getting fobbed off.
    No chain either side and i get the impression the seller couldnt care less.
    We seem so close yet so far...
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry . Maybe i havent explained the timeline well.

End of july applied for house and mortgage and agreed.
    Waiting for contract since beginning of august.
    Seller had put wrong address for their solicitors so was corrected.
    Then seller gave up with their solicitor and estate agent persuaded them to go with someone else two weeks ago.
    My solicitor received contract last week apparently but didnt do anything with it and then told me she was leaving this monday and i was told monday the contract and my files were sent last week to another branch.
    They havent told me who my solicitor is and nothing has been updated.
    So yes, delay seems to have been sellers previous solicitors was useless for the last 2 months and now my solicitor has gone awol.

To cut a long story short, a new solicitor is acting for your seller (from two weeks ago) and a new solicitor (albeit within the same company) is acting for you as of last week.

You can discount the time from July. The conveyancing started when your new solicitor received the draft contract (last week?). They now have to approve the contract and raise enquiries and do searches (if you're having them). It's a shared ownership property so there will be a leasehold element. Are you just buying the share from them or more? Your file is only just off the ground, so unlikely you will be completing any time soon.
  • notroubleclubber
    Options
    Tiglet2 - u may want to recheck my post.
    Its now november - this all started in july and still ongoing.
    Solicitors were changed months and months ago
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport