reasonable housekeeping figures DRO

Options

Comments

• wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the quick reply

They use both then, going on what you have put in your previous posts, any reason for this I was wondering?

Any news from Stepchange yet as to whether they will be joining in?

Im going out for a while now, but will be back

DC

From my understanding, they use their guidelines in the initial assessment and advice sessions, where they tell a client what their best options are, and then the budget is converted into CFS by the DRO team for use on the forms.

Ive not heard anything from them since I contacted them
  • Depth_Charge
    Depth_Charge Posts: 970 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 13 May 2013 at 5:01PM
    Options
    wba31 wrote: »
    From my understanding, they use their guidelines in the initial assessment and advice sessions, where they tell a client what their best options are, and then the budget is converted into CFS by the DRO team for use on the forms.

Ive not heard anything from them since I contacted them

Hi

Thanks for the reply

mmm, interesting - with the £50 per month disposable income rule being so important as to whether someone is eligible for a Debt Relief Order then it is important to get it right at the initial assessment / interview I would have thought, so I am slghtly puzzled (in an innocent, curious way only of course)

I am conscious that you are not officially speaking for Stepchange so I wonder if someone from there would wish to clarify how this works (using both sets of expenditure figures where DROs are concerned as you have mentioned and if this is the case of course).

In the meantime a number of my friends have said they are going to look at putting in a few sets of expenditure figures in the Stepchange 'Debt Remedy' Tool see what happens regarding a DRO - a comparison maybe with the CFS & Stepchanges figures, might be interesting.

This is certainly turning into an interesting thread and again I invite (as the previous poster has also done) Stepchange to comment.

DC
  • Depth_Charge
    First Post
    Options
    Hi WBA

My friends are telling me that they are coming up with some very interesting results.

Think Stepchange may eventually need to comment on this, but we will see

DC
  • wba31
    Options
    I have never personally had any major issues with their online tool. I have referred a number of people to use it, but it is only a computer program, so i know a few people have had to ring their online help line when the computer struggled with something that needed human intervention.
    The guidelines are different, but i have never found them to be too far away from CFS guidelines. I believe that they break everything down more which is why they do not rigidly work by CFS, which of course just lumps everything into 4 groups. If there are areas that need to go outside guidelines, such as a diabetic needed extra on food i think the online tool requires a verbal conversation to take place to satisfy it...
    I dont fully understand how it all works, but from what I've seen I like the online tool, for it's great for what it is, the important thing is to remember it is only an online tool, and sometimes a human is needed to dot the i's and cross the t's for complicated cases.
  • Depth_Charge
    First Post
    edited 13 May 2013 at 9:42PM
    Options
    wba31 wrote: »
    I have never personally had any major issues with their online tool. I have referred a number of people to use it, but it is only a computer program, so i know a few people have had to ring their online help line when the computer struggled with something that needed human intervention.
    The guidelines are different, but i have never found them to be too far away from CFS guidelines. I believe that they break everything down more which is why they do not rigidly work by CFS, which of course just lumps everything into 4 groups. If there are areas that need to go outside guidelines, such as a diabetic needed extra on food i think the online tool requires a verbal conversation to take place to satisfy it...
    I dont fully understand how it all works, but from what I've seen I like the online tool, for it's great for what it is, the important thing is to remember it is only an online tool, and sometimes a human is needed to dot the i's and cross the t's for complicated cases.

Hi

Yes, I know what you mean about online debt remedy tools and computer programmes etc.

I am very familiar with both the CFS, Stepchange and other expenditure guideline figures for that matter.

Like I have already said it looks like there are some interesting results from the debt remedy tool figure input

The irony to a certain extent from what I am hearing is that an earlier post of mine that mentioned bankruptcy and debt management plans might be a little 'de ja vu' so to speak.

See what tomorrow brings, but Stepchange might well end up having a few things to think about here.

Maybe they will eventually join in.

Take care & best wishes

My opinions again
  • Depth_Charge
    First Post
    edited 15 May 2013 at 8:24PM
    Options
    Hi

Been speaking further with a couple of friends

Here is an example of a set of figures put in the Debt Remedy Tool I have referred to as I understand them to be (I have not got the copy in front of me so apologies if there are any errors and keeping in mind this is only for discussion purposes on here and taking into account some earlier posts and threads)

Single Man (edit - might be woman, not sure) living alone (age 35yrs)

Rented Local Authority house

Working

No assets

Total Unsecured Debt - below £15000

Monthly Income

Wages - £1000

Monthly Outgoings

Rent £350

Water £35

Council Tax £75

Gas £50

Electricity £40

Contents Insurance £10

Telephone & Internet £30

TV Licence £13

Public Tranport £75

Food, Tioletries, cleaning £213

(A figure of £280 was originally put in the above Food Tioletries, cleaning section however the recommended figure that was flagged up was between £115 & £213 with the suggested figure being £162) - there were notes saying that "we need to speak to you because the money your're spending on the area below is outside the amount that we would recommend for a household of your size

We want to make sure that there is enough money in your budget for you to live on while making sure that your creditors can see that you are paying as much as possible

If you dont feel these values are realistic for you , please take a few minutes to contact us so we can discuss your situation in more detail and provide you with the right advice.

Clothing / Footwear £30

Total Monthly Outgoings £921

The Monthly Disposable Income £79

As far as I am aware these were the Debt Solution recommendations

Bankruptcy

Alternative Solution

Debt Management Plan

This example does look rather interesting to me at first glance and a fair question may might be -

If the the Common Financial Statement (CFS) Figures (as clearly mentioned in the DRO Intermedairy Guideline Notes) were applied in this example case (or one similar) would it be eligible for a Debt Relief Order

It looks an interesting one at first glance at least and maybe a bit more than that maybe.

Just an example, but, food for thought definitely in my opinion and maybe the Stepchange people could look at this and possibly comment as I see they have recently been active on a nearby thread.

I think there may be others also taking a closer look at this.

Just my opinions with the interests of those in debt etc at heart

DC
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    I had to work very hard to get SC to give me £148 for food!!!!!!

HHx
  • Depth_Charge
    First Post
    Options
    Hi

My other half has just had a go along the lines of the example one and put in the suggested £162 instead of the £213 in the food, housekeeping section.

DC
  • Hopelessly_Hopeful
    Options
    Still makes me sooo cross the NEDCAB one for single person is £299!

HHx
  • wba31
    Options
    Hi

Been speaking further with a couple of friends

Here is an example of a set of figures put in the Debt Remedy Tool I have referred to as I understand them to be (I have not got the copy in front of me so apologies if there are any errors and keeping in mind this is only for discussion purposes on here and taking into account some earlier posts and threads)

Single Man (edit - might be woman, not sure) living alone (age 35yrs)

Rented Local Authority house

Working

No assets

Total Unsecured Debt - below £15000

Monthly Income

Wages - £1000

Monthly Outgoings

Rent £350

Water £35

Council Tax £75

Gas £50

Electricity £40

Contents Insurance £10

Telephone & Internet £30

TV Licence £13

Public Tranport £75

Food, Tioletries, cleaning £213

(A figure of £280 was originally put in the above Food Tioletries, cleaning section however the recommended figure that was flagged up was between £115 & £213 with the suggested figure being £162) - there were notes saying that "we need to speak to you because the money your're spending on the area below is outside the amount that we would recommend for a household of your size

We want to make sure that there is enough money in your budget for you to live on while making sure that your creditors can see that you are paying as much as possible

If you dont feel these values are realistic for you , please take a few minutes to contact us so we can discuss your situation in more detail and provide you with the right advice.

Clothing / Footwear £30

Total Monthly Outgoings £921

The Monthly Disposable Income £79

As far as I am aware these were the Debt Solution recommendations

Bankruptcy

Alternative Solution

Debt Management Plan

This example does look rather interesting to me at first glance and a fair question may might be -

If the the Common Financial Statement (CFS) Figures (as clearly mentioned in the DRO Intermedairy Guideline Notes) were applied in this example case (or one similar) would it be eligible for a Debt Relief Order

It looks an interesting one at first glance at least and maybe a bit more than that maybe.

Just an example, but, food for thought definitely in my opinion and maybe the Stepchange people could look at this and possibly comment as I see they have recently been active on a nearby thread.

I think there may be others also taking a closer look at this.

Just my opinions with the interests of those in debt etc at heart

DC

I understand what you're saying, but its a very empty budget. Nothing in for "other expenditure" from cfs, dentist, hairdressing, cinema trip every now and again, saving for Christmas and birthday expectations. I would hope a discussion is had to ensure someone budgets for those items

P.S. where can a house be rented for £350 a month? Please tell me, paying £600 for 3 bed in Walsall, my lodger is looking for places and is looking at £450 for 1/2 bed flats
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure