Bin Collections

Options

Comments

• gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Absolutely not. We rarely get anywhere close to filling our non-recyclable bin. It only ever happens if we have ordered furniture or something else large that comes in lots of plastic wrap or polystyrene, so that hardly ever happens.

Recycling is collected weekly and we do often come close to filling that but they will collect cardboard if it is neatly folded and left next to the bin so it is never a problem.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We rarely fill our bin. The only one that we have trouble with is the garden waste bin. Our gardener can fill that in an hour but it is collected weekly.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No way, we never fill our black bin, its the recycling one that gets full! Although where we live, you can request an extra recycling bin for free. If there's 7 or more permanent people in the property, you can have 2 black bins.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, I wouldn't pay any extra. Our rubbish is collected fortnightly and I struggle to fill the bin, although our recycling boxes and bags are usually pretty full. I already pay an additional £50 a year for a fortnightly green-waste collection (optional, but the opening hours at the local tip aren't worker-friendly), and I don't want to pay any more!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    No, I see this as the thin end of a wedge where in the long term the councils will opt out of bin collection and leave resident to pay or drown in their own garbage.

I'm another in the No camp. I agree we're getting very close to the thin end of the wedge with public services.

I wouldn't trust the council to be able to ring fence the money. I have huge sympathy with councils as central government is starving them of funds.

I was only thinking the other day about how many places now employ security guards when previously you could have expected police to turn out.

I'd like to see far less waste and that would mean householders being more careful but also manufacturers using less packaging wherever possible.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 6:00PM
    Options
    No. We have 4 wheelie bins. 3 are collected every 3 weeks (as in 1 a week) the 4th food/garden waste once a fortnight. If I had a lot then I would take it the 10 mile round trip to the tip. But pay £10/month every month no chance, I hope I can manage the rubbish I churn out better than that.

I don't think they would leave us to drown in our own garbage because it would cost so much more to deal with the fly tipping. Although maybe if this was a truly country area with for example lots of farm gates to dump stuff in then they may do that.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We still have weekly collections for general waste and fortnightly for recycling and food.

I live on an estate with communal bins and they do get very full. As an individual I wouldn't pay but an estate might if they had an ongoing problem. It's amazing what folks put in bins and there isn't the individual responsibility of those with just their own bins
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Still weekly here.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldnt as neither bin is full until 2 weeks is up, in fact the recycling one is the one that gets the fullest and our council are happy to take as much extra recycling that you put at the side in clear sacks.

Ditto: too many people are not using the recycling bin for its proper use. They are using the waste bin for content which should be recycled, resulting in plastic and other non-biodegradable waste going to landfill. Storing up trouble for the future.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, I don't have an issue with fortnightly collections, my recycling is weekly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure